Definition of Micro pave

I need a definition of Micro Pave’ for a customer who has burned me
once on something else. Before I get into a risky position I’d like
to present to her an industry standard so we’re on the same page.

I hear conflicting opinions, one says the casting is CAD CAM
produced, another says its bead setting by hand under a setting
scope. I have a source for CAD CAM but I want all my ducks in a row
before putting the wheels in motion (sorry for the mixed metaphor).
A picture is worth a thousand words (dam, He’s at it again with the
cliches) so if someone has links to pics…terrific!

Thanks in advance

You’re doing work for a customer who has burned you before? You’re
putting your heart and soul into something for somebody who doesn’t
appreciate your effort?

I hope you’re getting a $1000 surcharge for pain and suffering. :slight_smile:
Be careful taking painful jobs in this time of year. It may be in the
way of you making some money in the coming weeks.

Just my 10 cents worth…
Stanley Bright

Hi Neil,

My understanding is micro-pave’ is pave’ set under a microscope. It
could just mean it is very small as the definition describes the
result of modern technique. I am guessing any stones that could fit
on a.9mm band would suffice, maybe with the provison that they look
good under magnification.

I don’t understand where CAD CAM fits in. I didn’t think the
machines were accurate enough to allow waxes that have. beads small
enough to safly hold, say.5mm stones. In any case, a microscope would
be needed to finish them.

There is an article on micropave’ here
http://www.artofplatinum.com/articles/micropave.php

Hope it helps keep all your ducks in the same barrel,

Phillip

Stanley, You might say my predicament is political. This customer, A
was referred by and is very close friends with one of my better
customers, B, who also is influential in town. Part of me wants to
just tell A off and outright refuse her work. The calmer part of me
knows I should handle this in a way that minimizes negative influence
on B.

So I need a sound, logical reason to either not accept the job or
charge her the ‘hidden’ pain and suffering. You know that old adage,
“Price depends upon customer attitude”.

Yes, I need to keep myself able to respond to and fulfill,
worthwhile, meaningful new requests.

Neil

Neil-

I see where you’re coming from. That does sound like a predicament.
Been there done that myself. Personally, I would try to get out of
doing the job. There is no amount of money that somebody can pay me
to “sit on my head”. By the way-- these types always know when you’ll
be busy or show up five minutes before closing when you have
somewhere else to be, etc. If you end up doing the job, I hope you
get that $1000 pain and suffering fee. (It’s right there on your
price list underneath the “washing my hands after working on your
watch since I’ll be huging my kids tonight”)

Good luck.
Stanley

So I need a sound, logical reason to either not accept the job
... Yes, I need to keep myself able to respond to and fulfill,
worthwhile, meaningful new requests.

Neil, Have you considered discussing precisely what your PIA
customer has in mind by the term ‘micro Pave’? Explain that there is
some difference in the industry as to the method of setting, which
you are aware of or you would not be asking on this forum, Then you
can choose whether you actualy do this type of setting work or
whether you would need to subcontract it out.

WayneM

these types always know when you'll be busy or show up five minutes
before closing

Stanley, No that’s someone else, who I call my ‘eight o’clock lady’.
Shows up at closing (6PM) and stays til 8, But at least she spends,
LOL.

Really, the stuff we have to endure sometimes!!

Have you considered discussing precisely what your PIA customer has
in mind by the term 'micro Pave'?

Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind. As I mentioned it is
political in that I need to avoid looking like I’m being petty in
turning down her job. She apparently looked in other stores and
someone used the term micro-pave’, correctly or incorrectly I have no
clue. Knowing she has an emotional price sensitivity I don’t wish to
further chase rainbows with her. Now, she wants to use her breakout
boort. I just want to end it gracefully.

I don’t mind jumping through hoops just please, don’t light them on
fire!

She apparently looked in other stores and someone used the term
micro-pave', correctly or incorrectly I have no clue. Knowing she
has an emotional price sensitivity I don't wish to further chase
rainbows with her. Now, she wants to use her breakout to boot.

It is entirely probable that her stones will not work in any proper
pave design, For Pave to work the stones need to be very near the
same size or properly graduated, something I very seldom see in
breakout goods unless they came from a proper pave design. I fear
that you might be correct in your unstated thought that this
customer has unrealistic ideas. I don’t see any problem with telling
a customer that there ideas are unrealistic, perhaps this is why I
stay in the back room. .

WayneM

customer has unrealistic ideas. I don't see any problem with
telling a customer that there ideas are unrealistic, perhaps this is
why I stay in the back room.

Or, “If they were jewelry designers they wouldn’t be here…”