Japanese Chasing Hammer

Thanks to everyone for their help. There’s a picture of what the
hammer looks like on this website (it’s the first set of hammers
under the CHOKIN (chasing) header);

http://www.nihon-kogeikai.com/TEBIKI-E/4.html

I’m looking into all of the suggested sites, and once again, thanks!

Anastasia Macdonald

Anastasia Macdonald,

The hammer you are seeking is not all that difficult to make… I
would guess about an hours actual working time, if you have access to
a drill press, power sander, and a grinder. You could even do most of
it with hand tools, though removing that much stock with files would
probably take the better part of a day. You’d still need a drill
press, though.

You’d need to locate a piece of round hardenable steel stock, a
straight hardwood dowel, and a small steel wedge.

You would need to do some research on hammers, hardening metals -
specifically hammer heads, and perhaps a bit on hardwoods.
Replacement hammer wedges are available at our local hardware store,
so they should be out there somewhere too. You’ll need a very small
one, and could make that yourself too.

Then locate suppliers of the materials you determine to be
necessary… it might be nice to find a metals supplier who would cut
your steel round stock to length if you don’t have the strength/skill
to do it with a hacksaw or the use of a bandsaw.

Making tools should be a part of every smith or jewelers abilities.
If I were to take on this kind of a project I would order enough
material to make a half dozen or more and sell the surplus copies to
cover my expenses and time. Your own would then be free - and you
would have added more skills and another small learning experience to
your collection.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Anastasia,

I have two of these hammers (just the heads) around here somewhere,
and You are welcome to these. I won’t be needing them. I have
purchased all my Japanese hammers from Tevel at Allcraft in NYC.

Contact me off-list if you are interested in these. They are small
sizes. These hammers are usually sold without handles, as you are
expected to supply your own according to your preference. They also
come unfinished, meaning you are free to adjust the shape, polish the
faces, etc.

Doug

Douglas Zaruba
16639 Raven Rock Rd.