Back from the MJSA show in NYC

Folks,

I’ve just returned from the MJSA show in NYC, and wanted to pass
along my review.

First off, I have to say that Karen Christians (Making the most of
your flexshaft) and Cindy Edelstein (building a designer business)
ROCK! I got more insights and energy from their 2
workshops than I ever imagined. Both are personable, funny,
knowledgeable, and really understand the environment in which we
work. If you get a chance to take a class with one of them, do it.
You won’t be sorry!

The show itself was good, but I was disappointed a bit. It didn’t
seem nearly as large as the past several years, even though several
of the exhibitors I talked to insisted that it was actually BIGGER by
15 booths. I noticed that many of the larger dealers didn’t have as
large a presence as before (for example, Progress tools had at least
a double, if not a triple last year, with a to-die-for array of
workbenches… this year, they had a single booth with some
hand-tools and I walked right by before I realized it was them… and
they weren’t alone in that!). There were about 1/4 the number of
stone dealers as last year, most of whom seemed to have an abundance
of gemstone beads, but not as many cabs and facets. Only one or two
diamond dealers, which was a distinct change.

Having said that, I saw some awesome new tools, brought back some
cool samples to try (Rapido molding rubber from castaldo, stop-off
from Krohn) and found some new materials that I can’t wait to try…
Signity’s stone-mesh (silver or gold mesh embedded with bezel-set
CZs in your choice of colors) and Rio’s new colored sterling mesh
“ribbon.” So the show wasn’t a bust from that perspective. I just
wanted MORE… especially more in the stone arena!

I definitely plan to go back next year, but hope that it’s
“re-grown” a bit!

What did the rest of you who attended this year think, compared to
the last several years? Any comparable shows in the Northeast that I
should check out given what I’m looking for?

Thanks!
Karen Goeller
@Karen_Goeller
www.nolimitations.com

cool samples to try (Rapido molding rubber from castaldo, stop-off
from Krohn) and found some new materials that I can't wait to
try...

What are these? Castaldo doesn’t have the Rapido on their website
yet. What’s the Stop-off?

Thanks,
Elaine

Elaine Luther
Metalsmith, Certified PMC Instructor
http://www.CreativeTextureTools.com
Hard to Find Tools for Metal Clay

Hi Elaine,

Rapido is a 15-minute silicone molding rubber that cures at around
200F… pretty low temp (not quite as low as their VLT at 165-180F),
but a pretty fast cure. As a bunch of us share access to a single
vulcanizer, that could be a real plus ;-).

Stop-Off is a surface coating designed to prevent solder spills and
protect existing solder joints. Unlike ochre or white-out, it
supposedly will NOT mix with flux or reliquify with water and run
all over the place, but will come off in the pickle. Should be nice
when working in really tight spots, as I always get annoyed with
ochre when it contaminates my flux.

I’ll post after I get a chance to try my goodies!

Karen Goeller
@Karen_Goeller

Dear Elaine & All,

Rapido is a new silicone rubber molding compound that we are
experimenting with and will probably bring to market soon. It’s a
production-quality material that cures in 15 minutes. Hence the
name.

Anyone out there want free samples to test??? If you do, please give
me your full shipping address - no PO boxes, please.

Please contact the author off list at @Michael_Knight2

Michael Knight

The Rapido is similar to our LSLT-160 which we introduced in May of
2005. Actually, it’s predecessor is our LS-250, which we introduced
in 1994.

The difference between Rapido and our LSLT-160 is that LSLT-160
cures in only ten minutes and has virtually Zero shrink.

I have not found any product on the market that is even close to the
low shrink character of our LSLT-160.

Please contact me for samples and dealer names.

Regards,

Bill Mull
Zero-D Products, Inc.
http://www.zerodproducts.com

Stop-Off is a surface coating designed to prevent solder spills
and protect existing solder joints. Unlike ochre or white-out, it
supposedly will NOT mix with flux or reliquify with water and run
all over the place, but will come off in the pickle. Should be
nice when working in really tight spots, as I always get annoyed
with ochre when it contaminates my flux.

Wonder if the Anti Splatter spray for welding would work in a
similar manner? You just spray it on, weld with your mig (wire)
welder and wipe off all the little splatter balls that drop all
around the welding area. I don’t know if it leaves a film or not as
you usually don’t worry to much about that when welding, only when
you get to the finishing stage. But if it can work with the high
temps used in welding steel, stainless, and high carbon steel, and
not interfere with the flux used in welding ( flux core wire ) It
makes me wonder if it will work with precious metals? Its only about
$8 a can, and you could use a brush to apply it where you don’t want
solder to flow.

Im going to have to try this and see what happens. I’ll let you know
if it’s a boom or a bust!

cool samples to try (Rapido molding rubber from castaldo, stop-off
from Krohn) and found some new materials that I can't wait to
try...

If anyone is looking for a faster curing silicone rubber, try the
Quick Cure from Zero-D, it vulcanizes in 7 minutes per layer. Very
nice, a real time saver.

http://www.zerodproducts.com/page3.html

Usual disclaimer, just a happy customer.

Elaine

Elaine Luther
Metalsmith, Certified PMC Instructor
http://www.CreativeTextureTools.com
Hard to Find Tools for Metal Clay

I have been using Zero D LSLT 160 silicone for a year. Rapido is
similar, except LSLT cures faster in only ten minuts and has no
shrink. It is the only product I can find that haet cures and does
not shrink.

Lori

Elaine, sounds like something that cures fast. If you are interested
in fast cure silicone, Zero-D has one for several years, the 4X Quick
Cure and for real speed LSLT-160. LSLT-160 does not shrink and only
takes ten minutes.

The show itself was good, but I was disappointed a bit. It didn't
seem nearly as large as the past several years, even though
several of the exhibitors I talked to insisted that it was actually
BIGGER by 15 booths. I noticed that many of the larger dealers
didn't have as large a presence as before (for example, Progress
tools had at least a double, if not a triple last year, with a
to-die-for array of workbenches... this year, they had a single
booth with some hand-tools and I walked right by before I realized
it was them... and they weren't alone in that!). There were about
1/4 the number of stone dealers as last year, most of whom seemed
to have an abundance of gemstone beads, but not as many cabs and
facets. Only one or two diamond dealers, which was a distinct
change.

It is always interesting to get people’s perceptions of what they saw
at an event. Ms. Goeller makes several points about Expo New York to
which I would like to respond.

First, I was glad to hear that you received such valuable
from our seminar program. We received many positive
reviews from attendees who attended our MJSA Jewelry Academy seminar
program as well as the pre-Expo Designer Day, and our education team
and our presenters appreciate the support and positive response.

Ms. Goeller also said the show itself was good, but that she was
disappointed because it didn’t seem nearly as large as the past
several years. The actual statistics are that in 2005 there were 364
booths on the show floor and in 2006 there were 379, 15 more than
last year.

In addition, she said that many of the larger dealers didn’t have as
large a presence as before, citing Progress Tools as an example.
Progress did go from 2 booths in '05 to 1 booth in '06, but Stuller
went from 4 booths to 8, Rio Grande went from 6 booths to 8,
National Chain went from 3 booths to 4, AV Diamonds went from 4
booths to 6, and Romanoff and Gesswein remained at 4 and 8 booths,
respectively.

Miss Goeller’s statement that there were about a quarter the number
of stone dealers as last year is also not accurate. In 2005 there
were 34 companies that listed themselves as stone dealers, while in
2006 Expo had 45 stone dealers listed in the show directory.

As I said, it is always interesting to get people’s perceptions of
an event, both good and bad. I quote the above statistics just to
ensure that all the facts are presented.

Having said that, I am always happy to hear that someone has
discovered a new product or technology at Expo, and I was very glad
to see that Ms. Goeller made several discoveries at Expo. I was also
glad to hear that she planned to go back next year. As the Director
of Trade Shows and Events for MJSA, I too plan to go back again next
year --hopefully to an Expo that’s grown even more.

Paula Esposito
Director of Trade Shows & Special Events
Manufacturing Jewelers & Suppliers of America