[Workshop] The art of pearl stringing

For anyone who wishes to learn the art of pearl stringing and the
history of pearls, this is a great workshop. Taught by Anne
Hollerbach and Mary Stachura.

The Precious Pearl: An Introduction for New Jewelers
Instructor: Ms. Anne Larsen Hollerbach and Mary Stachura

Tuition: $ 250 Materials: TBA
Time: 10:00 AM - 5:00 AM

This class is a wonderful opportunity to learn from a true expert in
the pearl trade: Mary Stachura of Joseph Stachura, Inc. We’ll begin
with the natural history of the pearl: what it is, how it forms, and
where it comes from. We’ll cover all the terms used to describe pearl
shapes, discuss the many types of pearls, and unravel the specifics
of trade terms such as “natural”, “cultivated”, “enhanced” and so
forth. We’ll discuss factors you must consider when evaluating pearls
for purchase. The second part of the class consists of correct
pearl-stringing techniques using silk and bullion [a delicate metal
coil that protects the silk at the end of the strand]. Th= e materials
kit will include all the necessary tools and materials, including
pearls, and you will have the chance to learn proper knotting and
termination methods. We will discuss clasps, multiple strands,
parallel strands, and a variety of design possibilities. In addition,
we will cover the correct uses of post mountings, pearl cement, and
the setting of mabe-type pearls into bezels. Finally, we’ll cover
the proper care of pearl jewelry.

Karen Christians
M E T A L W E R X
50 Guinan St.
Waltham, MA 02451
Ph. 781/891-3854 Fax 3857
http://www.metalwerx.com/
Jewelry/Metalarts School & Cooperative Studio