Silicosis in Chinese gemstone factories

Whilst I was visiting the Tucson Gem Shows, I watched and listened as
the Fire Mountain Gems owners apparently did business as usual in the
Ko Ngar company’s wholesale tent. It made me wonder what, if
anything, these folks had done to use their clout as a major
purchaser from Ko Ngar to persuade the factory to make a decent
settlement with their employees dying premature deaths from
silicosis. I think I’ll write a letter to them and ask.

One of the Yahoo beading groups posted this link:

http://www.jewelrycampaign.net/eng/statement02.htm

Some of you may recall the L.A. Times article about this problem -

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-
jewelry14dec14,0,2558575.story?coll=la-home-world

and this informative article:

http://www.caprn.bc.ca/linkedmaterials/archive/greatleap.pdf

–Chris