Re: [Orchid] Looking for Hebrew letter stamps

janetb Sunday, August 07, 2005

Continue from:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/200507/msg01272.htm

Dear Bekka,

    Well, this is what my search has turned up re Hebrew alphabet
    stamps:

    I'm afraid none of the jewelers' supply stores in the country (there
    are not many) carry the sets of Hebrew letter stamps any more...I
    also tried machine shop tool suppliers and stamp makers. They all
    say that if they have an order for this, they get it from abroad.
    There is no longer any demand for the item, so when the occasional
    request comes in, they order it from Europe. I finally managed to
    find one place that makes metal stamps that had one set in
    stock---but it is 5mm. It is from Germany and would cost 600
    shekels, which is about $130 + 17% VAT and then it would have to get
    to you---they do not ship abroad). They said they will be getting in
    a few sets in a smaller size (3mm) in a couple of months (?), but
    that is still pretty big if you need it for jewelry. It would be
    from somewhere in Europe. Every place straight-away suggested having
    them specially made, which I think would be prohibitive. What do you
    want to use them for? It might be more economical (and a lot easier
    to use) if you just get stamps made with the words you need (?). If
    anyone knows of a good place in the Far East that would make them,
    the place here that has the one set would be interested to order
    from them, so if that came about, you could get it perhaps cheaper
    than if you just ordered one by yourself.....If in the end it is a
    matter of having them specially made, I guess there is no advantage
    to having it done here in Israel (?)---don't they just do it
    mechanically from any graphics?

    Sorry to be the bearer of not-such-good-news....I kept on thinking I
    would eventually come across some little store that still had one in
    the back, but most such small businesses folded quite a while
    ago...:-(.....If anyone in the Tel Aviv area has any leads, please
    let us know! I'm not familiar with the little shops there. All
    jewelers supply places in Jerusalem close down because the demand is
    too small....:-(....

    I'll continue to ask around, but it doesn't look very
    promising.....Sorry.....

Janet in Jerusalem.