Gold mesh tube?

During semi-random searching, I came across this picture of jewelry
made of what I’m guessing is some gold mesh tubes:

[ Source: http://store.littmanjewelers.com ]

Always looking for new things to knot, especially things that would
be suitable for jewelry, this stuff looks very very interesting.
Might anyone on the list be able to identify the material in question
from such a small picture? A general name or trade name would be
good. A source would be even better. :sunglasses:

Thanks!
Carol Wang

http://www.ganoksin.com/ftp/000012235.jpg

hi

they look like the tubes i get when i use an old wooden thread spool
and 4 nails … i usually do a double stitch, gives a full, thicker
piece. done a good many in fine silver. only got 1 16’’ in 14kgold
fill wire. wire kept snapping, i ended up using the smaller pieces to
join to join together with beads between. some were great keychains.

i was later told the gold is harder to use with the spool. i do know
it comes out looking like the viking knit.

pat

Carol, I don’t have that one but I do have a tubular knitted metal
mesh in several colours and 2 widths which knots well and has great
ability to be manipulated, opened out etc. Made in europe to
european standards. See it here -

http://designerbeads.com/gallery/index.php?cPath=12

Email me via the website if you want a sample, the pictures don’t do
it justice.

Laurie
http://www.designerbeads.com

they look like the tubes i get when i use an old wooden thread spool
and 4  nails ....

i usually do a double stitch, gives a full, thicker Spool knitting
(sometimes called French knitting) made on a spool or a knitting
nancy making an i-cord or knit tube. They have devices to do that
now specifically for wire:

http://www.bond-america.com/products/wyrknittr.html

the quick craft version of what Michael David Sturlin does:

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/crocheting_in_gold.htm

but I don’t think that’s what the necklace that the original image I
was looking at was made of.

    Carol, I don't have that one but I do have a tubular knitted
metal mesh in several colours and 2 widths which knots well and has
great I bought some from you already, but I think it was the 20mm!

I think I’m looking for smaller with just a little more body. Some
more images of necklaces that I found:

http://www.dragonweave.com/mesh-chains.html

Ebay and Ioffer links removed - Sorry no auction links on Orchid

“Silver/gold mesh chain” seems to have been the keywords I (or
google) was looking for. I’d actually purchased a second-hand silver
mesh bola for experimentation purposes, but it was much denser than
the examples with knots seen in the eBay and Littman links and would
have been destroyed in the knotting with ugly results.

Carol Wang

Carol, When I attended the MJSA Expo in NYC this past March, I saw
some of that type of mesh chain at one of the vendor’s booths. I dug
through my stuff and found it!

Downeast Trading Co.
Middlebury VT.
http://www.downeasttrading.com
Phone number:  800-626-5700.

I don’t know if they sell only finished chain or in bulk - - I have
not ordered from them yet. Their website seems a little confusing to
me, so you might check it out but maybe call them also.

Hope this helps!
Nan

I haven’t used the mesh but do buy from Downeast and will say that
they are excellent to work with and carry high quality merchandise.
All of the usual disclaimers apply.

Betty Belmonte

 http://www.bond-america.com/products/wyrknittr.html

Wups, stay away from that Wyr Knittr thing, its a piece of junk.
Make your own spool:

http://groups.msn.com/FineWire/spoolknitting.msnw

or you can buy spools at:

http://www.beadeckedonline.com/catalog/

The Wyr Knittr jams constantly, breaks the wire, it’s just
worthless.

Sojourner