Difficulties ordering from Stuller

Hi, I have been told that we have been mistaken in thinking that
one needs an account with Stuller to order.  Stuller says that any
one, any where in the world, may order metal from Stuller  using
their credit card, and the order can be as small as  $10.
Supposedly, the necessity for an account is if you  are buying
finished jewelry (for stores).  So, if you  have trouble ordering
with your credit card....

I have ALWAYS encountered difficulties ordering from Stuller. They
purge accounts that have been inactive for 6 months. I’ve ordered
mostly tools, and it has made no difference, I still had to present
all the necessary every time I order. I have a
difficulty believing that they will sell metal to anyone in the
world… without asking for “credentials!”

Continue from:

Stuller flat out refused to sell me anything because I have no
family history of jewelers. Unless you have a huge store or have
inherited a business you are out of luck. I gave them my contacts I
had at the time where I bought my gemstones and jewelry supplies etc
etc and I guess I don’t qualify as a jeweler I just carve cameos and
hand make settings in precious metal. I must just have a strange
large hobby that pays for my food.

Stuller sells to anyone…riiigggght not likely.

Teri D
America’s Only cameo Artist
www.cameoartist.com

When I opened my account with Stuller a couple of years ago I needed
to submit 3 invoices from companies that showed I purchased a product
made from gold. The cost of the product did not matter, back then
anyway…it could have been ear nuts.

Whoops. Dead wrong. I have found them (Stuller) to be one of my most
valuable suppliers. Granted, I couldn’t just throw my money at them
and expect them to do business with me. I did have to prove that I
was in business. Other than that, they’ve been very accommodating;
even asking for feedback every now and then, as does Rio Grande.

I like to roll the dice, so to speak, and gamble picking up gemstones
out of Thailand and Singapore through reputable dealers that have
established good feedbacks through Ebay. All of those purchases that
I buy off of Ebay (sight unseen) I take to a GIA appraiser and
validate their authenticity so that I can have the confidence that
what I am offering to the customer is the real thing. From what I
have seen historically on Ebay as far as negative feedbacks are
concerned, it’s always the hot-headed young up-starts that shoot
first (with a bad feedback), not taking time to communicate, and
rarely asking questions later.

Nobody left me a jewelry store or an inheritance or whatever. I am a
self-taught started from the bottom up, went from a rock tumbler to
a full shop in 3 and a half years bench jeweler. I got my federal
tax I.D # and my Minnesota state tax I.D. # and 500 business cards,
and started asking to business with Stuller, Rio Grande, Tripp’s,
Alpha Supply, Gesswein, and on and on. And no one has turned me away
yet.

I would like to suggest that before you start to mud rake, call or
email Stuller and ask for clarification on their policies.

Mike Gramlich
Terra Firma Handiwork
@Mike_Gramlich

I’m not sure what the problem you’ve experienced with them is, but
they’ve bent over backwards to help me get my order straightened
out. I misunderstood how the metals club worked and they "fixed"
my order for me anyway. (I thought I could call up and order any
time during the same month and have my order all add up for the
quantity discount, which is not how it really works - anyway, they
let me complete my order the way I THOUGHT it worked).

As far as I know, all you need is a tax ID number to order gems and
stuff - I didn’t even have that, and they have treated me very well
as a metals-only customer. And I have NO "industry connections"
whatsoever, I’m nothing approaching a “real” jeweler.

Honestly, they’ve been more than considerate and helpful in my
dealings with them. I’m not sure what went wrong for you - do you
not have a tax ID number? Because that’s the only reason I can see
for why they might not sell you wholesale gems.

Sojourner

I agree Mike;

I recently started my business up and when I contacted Stuller &
Gesswein they were extremely understanding. I explained my ‘new
business’ situation, my goldsmith education, and faxed them my
Canadian tax + business licensing info and I had same day accounts.
Not to mention Stuller UPS’d me 4 catalogues no charge a few days
after the account was set-up.

I’m pretty impressed, as I make my purchases this year for all new
tools these companies will get 100% of my business. I respect the
fact that these people are trying to enforce their 'trade only’
standing otherwise every ‘beadsmith’ with a tax i.d. would be calling
in.

Ryan Taylor
The Establishment Co.
Toronto, Canada
@Taylor1

    I would like to suggest that before you start to mud rake,
call or email Stuller and ask for clarification on their policies.

Or email them with about yourself and the type of work
you do and tell them what kinds of products/quantities that you
expect to be ordering from time to time and ask if they will send a
catalog. Be sure to offer to send or FAX a copy of your business
license and a list of other suppliers from whom you purchase metals
or stones/beads and findings for your work. Include your phone number
as well as email contact.

Pam Chott
www.songofthephoenix.com

I called Stuller this last Thursday to get an account so that I
could order Argentium. They did not even want my tax id! I have to
admit, I expected more hassle. I think that comments here are
filtering back…

Anyway, the only problem I had in ordering was in finding my
account. They had to use my phone number to find it. But shipping on
my first order was free! Nice.

Debby Hoffmaster

Mike,

Nobody left me a jewelry store or an inheritance or whatever.  I am
a self-taught started from the bottom up, went from a rock tumbler
to a full shop in 3 and a half years bench jeweler.

Good for you. I started the same way. 200 bucks and a skredriver.
Hardway University

Teri,

I am very sorry to hear this and the trouble you have had with
ordering from stuller. It is true we need certain paperwork. We have
seen that people on the network who like to order from us we have
set-up a tools and metals account for them. If you like you can
contact me and I will help you get a account…

Andy " The Tool Guy" Kroungold
Tool Sales / Technical
Stuller Inc
Phone 800-877-7777 ext. 94194
Fax 337-262-7791

Sojourner,

There is also the possiblity that the person at Stuller was just not
too bright and likely isn’t there any more. I have had many
experiences with suppliers who hire underskilled order takers etc.

Just a possibility eh?
Robert

I called Stuller this last Thursday to get an account so that I
could order Argentium. They did not even want my tax id! I have to
admit, I expected more hassle. I think that comments here are
filtering back…

Could it depend on whom you get when you call? Although I’ve had an
account, several times, at Stuller (and mine is currently active),
the person with whom I spoke was not the most accomodating I’ve
encountered. He was curt, short tempered and uppity. I submitted
the necessary receipts from others, copie s of TWO vendor licences,
I then, had to call back to find out if I provided enough
to place an order.

I think our forum will eventually correct a great many things. keep
commenting.

Robert

       There is also the possiblity that the person at Stuller was
just not too bright and likely isn't there any more.

I have only dealt with skilled and professional people at Stuller. I
think your suggestion of their people being not so bright is totally
unfair. Her problem is this, Stuller weeds out hobbyist from the
professionals. Until she can prove to them that she is indeed a
professional, they won’t do business with her. Thank God they do
that, or why would anyone buy from a jewelry store.

Hello all,

I want to clarify what Stuller’s policies are regarding getting an
account and ordering products from us.

There are NO requirements whatsoever for ordering products from the
following catalogs/product lines:

  • Metals Book (grain, alloy, sheet, wire, solder, etc…)
  • Tools & Supplies Book
  • Packaging & Display Catalog
  • Findings Book

Initially, we will need to set your name, address, etc… up in our
system to assign a cod/credit card account, then you may order any
product from these four publications.

There are additional requirements (Tax ID, Jewelry store front,
references, etc…) to establish an account to order the following
product lines:

  • Diamonds and Gemstones (except those stones featured in the
    Findings Book)
  • Finished Goods (all finished jewelry products, wedding bands,
    etc…)
  • Mountings
  • Any product not contained in the Metals, Tools, Packaging, or
    Findings Books.

Our staff of friendly associates will help you get started if you do
not yet have an account with Stuller. Please don’t hesitate to ask or
email for info. Thanks!

James Gilbert
Stuller Metals
800-877-7777 ext 6113
james_gilbert@stuller.com

Just adding my positive experience. I contacted Andy at Stuller
through this list and got set up with a tools & metals account. I
had expected it to be harder based on what I’d heard, but it wasn’t
a problem. Of course, I have a business license, tax ID, and even
invoices from other suppliers (not that you need all that just for
their tools and metals account).

Leah
www.michondesign.com
@Leah2

    I have only dealt with skilled and professional people at
Stuller. I think your suggestion of their people being not so
bright is totally unfair. Her problem is this, Stuller weeds out
hobbyist from the professionals.

Actually they didn’t do this to me. And its a good thing, too, as I
don’t (yet) have a tax ID, and doubt I could provide them with any
of the other stuff people are saying they required.

Hey, I got my 50 oz of mostly argentium, so I’m happy.

Sojourner

       There is also the possiblity that the person at Stuller was
just not too bright and likely isn't there any

I have only dealt with skilled and professional people at Stuller. I
think your suggestion of their people being not so bright is totally
unfair.

Likewise, I have had nothing but great service, any problem was
corrected quickly,shipping at their expense. 17 years of ordering,
perhaps I am handicapped by being a retail store with the right
credentials to start with!!!

I order about $10,000 a year now, but when I just ordered a few
hundred dollars worth years ago, service was the same, excellent and
outstanding. I have not ever had a sales rep that was not courteous,
friendly, and helpful.

Why do most posts seem to take the posters side against Stuller? I
have not a clue as to the nature of this. There have been many post
from people who have no problems, and they complementary things to
say.

Maybe some people have bad karma. Although I have come to believe bad
karma is directly related to the behavior being used to accomplish a
goal.

Maybe it’s a not too bright "business "person.
Richard Hart

As a distributor I am amazed at how Stuller can get orders out so
fast. Now I see they read industry lists. Can’t get better than
that.

Tim…

I have only dealt with skilled and professional people at Stuller.
I think your suggestion of their people being not so bright is
totally unfair. Her problem is this, Stuller weeds out hobbyist
from the professionals. Until she can prove to them that she is
indeed a professional, they won't do business with her. Thank God
they do that, or why would anyone buy from a jewelry store."

I agree and was wondering if anyone was going to reply regarding
that. I’m glad they do check too. It puts a little fairness into
this cut-throat competitive business for those of us that put food on
our table with the money we make in this business. I wish there were
more companies like Stuller.

In general I think we all have bad days. And it is possible that
person was having one or that the communication in which the
was conveyed was cloudy or misunderstood. I know that
just the other day I posted something on here only to realize I was
replying to the wrong question and it wasn’t a big deal and it
doesn’t make me less bright to make a mistake. WE ARE HUMAN AFTER
ALL. Furthermore, I don’t think it makes the person who was taking
the order less bright to have possibly believed that they were
following policy. Sometimes these policies are for a good reason.

I do agree that this forum is a great place to get things put right
and air our concerns about our industry. It also is a place to
share and welcome each other in a field which we love and enjoy.
But I do have to say that I do not enjoy the notion that this may
become a forum where we discredit or slander each other. If there
are concerns bring it up with the company and the management and
write a concern make you complaints with the company. Just like the
issue with Metalliferrous, that started to become an issue about
people in big cities and attitudes or when people were getting bent
out of shape about typos and paragraph form on here when we are
proud to have international members who may not have a mastery of
English grammer.

I guess what it comes down to is let’s not try to make our issues
too personal when this is a forum about our trade. We enjoy each
others personalities and but we really do not know
everyone personally. I even wonder if we were all anonymous what it
would be like and would there be so much concern with personal
issues. If there are personal issues they should be made off forum
and directly to the person or group in question and the public
posting be merely a feeler to see if there are others who share your
problem. Not to bash. And the people like Andy Kroungold or others
who are active in these companies can go to the higher ups and bring
the concerns without the bad feelings to make positive changes.