PnP paper residue?

Hi guys, after I’m done etching, using PnP (Press n Peel) paper and
Ferric Chloride, there’s this black stuff left on the copper and I
can’t seem to get it off.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Elaine
Elaine Luther
Metalsmith, Certified PMC Instructor
http://www.CreativeTextureTools.com
Hard to Find Tools for Metal Clay

   Hi guys, after I'm done etching, using PnP (Press n Peel) paper
and Ferric Chloride, there's this black stuff left on the copper
and I can't seem to get it off.

If it’s the resist itself, use a chemical remover. I think it’s
lacquer thinner, but methyl ethyl ketone will definitely do it; or
you can mechanically remove it by polishing. Usually, I just use a
foam bar made for acrylic fingernails. A fine or superfine (about
400-600 grit) bar leaves a satin finish that is easily polished out.

If it’s the smut residue left in the etched areas, just pop it in
the Sparex or peroxide pickle for a few, or brass brush it. It does
need to be removed, as it will affect any patina.

Katherine Palochak

Elaine, try soaking it in acetone for a minute and scrubbing gently
with Scotchbrite.

Mona

Hi Elaine.

I don’t know what you have tried in your efforts to rid your copper
of the black stuff. The procedure I follow after etching with ferric
Chloride is to soak the etched piece in pure ammonia (some suggest
diluting the ammonia, but I use it undiluted). For this soaking I
use a plastic container with a lid—helps control the fumes. After
letting it soak for some time I rinse it well. Usually this takes
care of any of the PNP residue. If there is anything still remaining
I scrub the piece with either coarse steel wool, a scotch bright
scrub pad, or a steel bristle brush. So far this has taken care of
any residue. Hope this helps.

Alma

Elaine,

After you have finished the etching off the copper from the silver,
rinse the metal very well under running water to remove all the
ferric chloride. Be sure to wear gloves when handling chemicals.
Place the cleaned, washed piece of metal in a bath of household
ammonia. I use lemon scented without diluting it at all. I place the
ammonia in a covered plastic container so the fumes will be
contained; it must be deep enough to cover the metal entirely plus
about 1/2 inch. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and not inhale the
fumes. Once this has soaked in this solution for a short while, take
out of the bath, rinse off under running water and scrub with a green
or red scrubby. This should remove the black (carbon deposit from
the ink) and/or the paper from the metal. You can also use a very
fine brass brush to accomplish the removal of the carbon deposit. If
you are still having a problem, you can scrub with barkeeps friend,
a product that is found in the cleaning section of the supermarket.
It is a non-chlorine based mild abrasive. Be sure to rinse well
under running water between each application of chemical and/or
abrasive material so you do not have any adverse chemical reactions.
This should get all the black residue off the metal. Good luck.

Beth Katz
Unique Solutions, Inc.
http://www.myuniquesolutions.com
Paste and Powder Solder for Jewelers and Metalsmiths.