Announcing 3M New FX Polishing Wheels

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 4, 2005 St. Paul, Minn. - 3M announced today the availability
of a new addition to their creative arts product portfolio. FX
Polishing Wheels from 3M feature a new, molded-wheel technology for
controllable, consistent finishing and polishing of precious metals.

The new FX Polishing Wheels from 3M provide conformable polishing
action, while brightening, blending and enhancing scratch patterns.
When used with Trizact or Scotch-Brite Bristle products from 3M,
they can reduce or eliminate the use of muslin and cotton buffs with
compounds, applying a uniform semi-final or final finish on
platinum, gold, titanium, brass and other precious metals.

The wheels’ conformable resin construction is ideal for finishing
parts with complex shapes, curves and contours and can be run wet or
dry to achieve the artists’ preferred results. FX Polishing Wheels
from 3M are available in either four-inch or six-inch diameters and
in six standard grades from 240 to 3000 grit.

About 3M Abrasive Systems Division

3M Abrasive Systems Division is 3M’s “heritage business,” upon which
the company was founded in 1902. 3M’s brands are recognized around
the world, making the company the leading abrasives supplier to the
metal- and wood-working industries as well as to artists everywhere.
3M abrasive technologies and brands, including Cubitron,
Scotch-Brite, and Trizact, mean customers can trust 3M to provide
quality, innovative products and solutions for virtually every
purpose - from grinding to polishing.

For more about FX Polishing Wheels or 3M Abrasive Systems
Division, call 1-866-279-1235 or visit http://www.3M.com/abrasives

Dear Orchid, these are the wheels I got to review while Rio’s
catalog in motion was in Tucson. These are really a good product, I
have been using the ones 3M gave me ( and I wouldn’t return by the
way, I probably owe for them) and I still love them. I have a quench
pot on my buffing table and when the pieces heat up I quench and
keep going. These wheels have eliminated in many cases the need to
hand emery and tripoli for me. I can, per piece, work up the time
savings due to this product and easily see when they pay for
themselves. Since I do multiples of a given product I paid for them
on the first set of bracelets I worked on last week. Of all the
products I played with at Catalog In Motion this is the must buy and
clearly the least expensive and most cost efficient. Every year 3M
knocks it out of the park. Thanks Rio , Thanks 3m

Sam Patania, Tucson
www.patanias.com

Sam,

How do you rate these solid wheels in comparison with the large 3M
bristle wheels? I’ve been especially pleased with the 6 and 1
micron for finishing.

Thanks for the review!

Judy in Kansas, where the daffodils are blooming and the tulip trees
are breaking forth.

Thanks, Sam, for the review of the new wheels. Would you describe
which grades you are using, and with what results? I’d like to try
them-- do you recommend getting the whole range, or are there a
couple you think are especially useful?

Thanks!
Noel

Does anyone have a link for the 3M product site? Can’t seem to find
it on 3M.com or Google.

Many thanks;
Taylor in Toronto

Try http://www.3m.com/product/index.jhtml

For technical about 3M FX Polishing Wheels, I uploaded a
PDF file to Ganoksin’s file server at:

http://www.soi11.com/file_s/FXPolishing-wheel.pdf

Hanuman

I read the PDF that Hanuman posted about these wheels, but it
doesn’t say what level of polish the wheels will achieve. Is the end
result equivalent to a rouge polish, a tripoli polish, or what?

Beth

    I read the PDF that Hanuman posted about these wheels, but it
doesn't say what level of polish the wheels will achieve.  Is the
end result equivalent to a rouge polish, a tripoli polish, or what?

Having just spent an afternoon in the shop with theses new wheels I
have to say that I like them a lot. The finish I achieved was like a
good tripoli polish maybe a little better. It just took a brief
moment with rouge to achieve a final finish.

a couple of comments:

You are better off with a slow speed (1725 rpm ) polishing motor,
the 3600 rpm spindle speed is really too fast especially with the
1500 and 3000 grit wheels.

There was less softening of the edges on the pieces than I would
have achieved with muslin or cotton buffs. The wheels are a lot
stiffer than cloth wheels but still more conformable than a soft
felt wheel.

Much cleaner than working with polishing compounds :slight_smile:

A water dish next to the wheel that you dip the work in to keep the
work cool and help lubricate the wheel is a great advantage here and
something you would never use with greasy polishing compounds and
cloth wheels. So no burned fingertips :slight_smile:

I started with a rough surface and went to a excellent pre polish
starting with a Scotch-Brite EXL 2SFIN wheel followed by these new
FX series wheels.

I think these are another home run by 3M just like the Radial
Bristle Discs

Jim Binnion

James Binnion Metal Arts
Phone (360) 756-6550
Toll Free (877) 408 7287
Fax (360) 756-2160

@James_Binnion
Member of the Better Business Bureau

The weather here is so beautifull, it almaost makes me forget about
my taxes…more… These green wheels are a completely different
product than the bristle brushes which I also use on a consistant
basis. THese are like a hand wrapped emery stick or an expansion
drum, they have a bit of give to them so they cut the very same way
a hand emery stick does. They are not hard like the scotch brite
wheels so they don’t leave a pattern if you cross hatch properly,
again, like I would with a hand emery stick. You will get a bright
pattern free polish with these wheels.

Sam Patania, Tucson
www.patanias.com

 I think these are another home run by 3M just like the Radial
Bristle Discs

On a related note–

I recently ordered two assortments of 3M microfinishing films
offered by Rio. One is on a plastic backing, fairly stiff and
durable, the other very soft and fine. I love both types. I find
that with a quick application of a series of grits from these
assortments, I can easily get all the way to a beautiful finish that
can be left as is, or touched with a buff to get a mirror finish.
The 400 grit in the soft film seems to give a finer surface that 600
in the typical wet-dry papers I’ve always used.

I’m really crazy about these products. I’ve become quite a fan of
3M!

–Noel

Where do we get the 3m FX polishing wheels?.

Where do we get the 3m FX polishing wheels?.

Most suppliers carry them, including Gesswein and Rio Grande but I’m
sure many others do too. They are available in 4" and 6" diameters
and in grits 240, 320, 600, 800, 1500 and 3000. By the way, a 3"
wheel will be available in a couple of months.

One of the most exciting features, in my opinion, about these wheels
is that they can be used to close micro-porosity (those tiny gas
pinholes) on castings. The wheels build up a fair amount of heat
quickly (finger protection is a must), enough to flow the surface
metal and actually close up micro-porosity. The 3M guys recommend
the 320 grit wheel for this use.

The wheels can be cooled off if desired by wetting them. And
dipping the jewelry in a coolant/lubricant such as you’d use for
burs and saw blades, helps the polishing job and keeps the wheel a
bit cooler too.

I’ve attached a 3M flyer about these wheels to this email but I’m
not sure if it will carry over to the newsgroup or not. If not,
please feel free to email or call me and request it – I’d be happy
to email it to anyone who wants one.

Attachment removed - Sorry Orchid is text only.

Best Regards,

Elaine Corwin
Gesswein Co. Inc.
Bridgeport CT 06605
Tel: 1-800-544-2043

There has been a lot of chat about the new 3m fx wheels . stuller is
now carrying the line in 4 in as well 6 in 6 different grades.

These wheels are able to run in wet or dry

Gives a uniform finish

Polish, brightens,blends,and enhances scratch patterns.

We will have rich bohr from 3m at the Madison show . so if in the
area stop by…

Andy " The Tool Guy" Kroungold
Tool Sales / Technical
Stuller Inc
Phone 800-877-7777 ext. 94194
Fax 337-262-7791

 We will have rich bohr from 3m at the Madison show . so if in the
area stop by..

Hi, Andy,

What Madison show? (I am in Chicago… 3 hours could be considered
“in the area”.)

–Noel

Midwest jewelry expo… held at Alliant energy center… Madison wisc.
Phone 608-257-3541 Toll free 877-778-3537 info@midwestjewelryexpo.com
or visit http://www.midwestjewelryexpo.org/index.php it is a fun and
growing show.

Andy " The Tool Guy" Kroungold