Tube measuring and holding tool

A friend of mine has the need measure and cut, consistently, small
sections of small tubing. (I’m not sure how small, but jewelry size,
and certainly less than 5mm.) How do you all do it? Do you have a
fabulous tool that allows you to measure and hold the tube for
cutting? I’ve seen one of these before but have no idea where to
find one; not sure if it was an antique or something currently and
readily available.

Thanks,
Christine in Littleton, Massachusetts

Christine, Hello, I have both a manual hand held tube cutter and a
wonderful Harbor Freight one, mentioned here lately. Both work fine.
A mm tape can be affixed so the accuracy is assured.

Terrie

A friend of mine has the need measure and cut, consistently, small
sections of small tubing.

Hello Christine,

I highly recommend the Bergeon “Hand Held Sawing Jig” aka tubing
cutter. It’s far from the cheapest one around but it is a real
pleasure to own and use. I usually unscrew the handle and clamp the
business end in my (copper-jawed) mini-vise. Once you’re set up and
“in the groove” you can produce clean and consistent tube cuttings at
quite an impressive rate. It’s great for cutting any kind of stock
that comes in rods, regular or irregular in cross-section, up to
about 5mm across.

You can see it at the Otto Frei website (see link below) though
they’re only one of many suppliers. Rio Grande has it as well (2004
catalog, p. 258, item B).

That link:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=63&cat=&page=2

Cheers,
Trevor F.

see rio grande 2004 tool catalog page 258. they have two styles
item 113-839 and 113- 000. i have a model 113-889…

jesse