Likely Toxicity from Patinas?

Where would I look to find out about “contact” toxicity of patinas
once they are fixed to the metals?

I’m interested in whether heat patinas on copper or bronze are
possibly toxic (contact toxicity)through long-term wear (like on a
bracelet).

I’d also like to find out if blackened brass (via the stuff used on
gun barrels) might possibly be toxic (contact toxicity).

I would be treating the patinas with Renaissance Wax or Johnson’s
Paste Wax to protect the surface, but long term wear will obviously
wear down through and expose the patina to skin contact. (I’m more
concerned here about the people wearing the items than the patina
).

Thanks for any help.
–Terri

Continue from:

       I'm interested in whether heat patinas on copper or bronze
are possibly toxic (contact toxicity)through long-term wear (like
on a bracelet). I'd also like to find out if blackened brass (via
the stuff used on gun barrels) might possibly be toxic (contact
toxicity).

Hi Terri,

Bascially all green and crusty patinas should not be in contact with
skin, and I would feel dubious about using selenium based blackeners
on surfaces next to skin. The simple answer is that any surfaces next
to skin should be bare metal, without a patina on it. I suspect a
light liver of sulfuring which would wear off, as would other
finishes, would not be harmful.

best
Charles

Charles Lewton-Brain/Brain Press
Box 1624, Ste M, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 2L7, Canada
Tel: 403-263-3955 Fax: 403-283-9053 Email: @Charles_Lewton-Brai1

  Bascially all green and crusty patinas should not be in contact
with skin, and I would feel dubious about using selenium based
blackeners on surfaces next to skin. The simple answer is that any
surfaces next to skin should be bare metal, without a patina on it.
 I suspect a light liver of sulfuring which  would wear off, as
would other finishes, would not be harmful.

Hi Charles – does this mean that a copper heat patina (like the
intense red, or the magenta people were talking about creating in an
oven) would be safe against skin?

Thanks,
Terri

 does this mean that a copper heat patina (like the intense red, or
the magenta people were talking about creating in an oven) would be
safe against skin?

Hi Terri, I think that it would not be too bad. Some people will
react to copper and some not. best Charles