Rectangular draw plate

Hello all:

I need help in finding rectangular draw plates that will keep a
constant height of 16 gauge with a varying thickness of
approximately 36g to 6g. There are four of us that need these so if
anyone can help us out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in
advance!

Debbie Parent

Debbie,

Try and contact Otto Frei (formerly Frei & Borel). They used to
carry an adjustable die that allowed you to set different dimensions
for square or rectangular wire. I believe you used allen wrenches to
adjust the dimensions.

Itā€™s not currently listed in their 2004 catalog, but they may have
one in stock or be able to direct you to a source. It was fairly
pricey, in excess of $150.

Otto Frei on ā€˜Ganoksinā€™s Guide to Industry Web Sitesā€™

Write a review:
http://www.ganoksin.com/resources/review.php?id=1475

Rate Otto Frei
http://www.ganoksin.com/resources/detail-otto_frei-1475.html

HTH,
Donna Shimazu

1 Like

Hi Debbie,

The draw die that Donna refers to is called a Turks Head die. I own
one (purchased from Otto Frei years ago) and have found it to be one
of the most frustrating tools I have ever tried to use. I would
recommend not getting one. There are other forms of adjustable draw
dies but they are typically made by a tool maker for a particular
purpose and not something that is sold by tool suppliers. However
there is a possible solution for you if you really need such a draw
plate and that is to contact John Frei at Otto Frei and order a
custom drawplate. It will be expensive and will take quite a while
to get it from the manufacturer but they can be purchased.

Jim Binnion

James Binnion Metal Arts
Phone (360) 756-6550
Toll Free (877) 408 7287
Fax (360) 756-2160

@James_Binnion
Member of the Better Business Bureau

Debbie, You might try The Mine Shaft in Pompano Beach Florida.
800-654-3934. Fred always has a knack for finding the ā€œhard to findā€
tools. I also suggest Otto Frei tools 800-772-9456. They have custom
made draw plates that do take 3 to 6 months, but they are custom!
They also have some rectangular plates if those will fit your
specifications.

Beth Katz
http://www.myuniquesolutions.com
Paste and Powder Solder for Jewelers and Metalsmiths

    The draw die that Donna refers to is called a Turks Head die.
I own one (purchased from Otto Frei years ago) and have found it to
be one of the most frustrating tools I have ever tried to use. I
would recommend not getting one.

Hi Jim, Thatā€™s interesting to hear. A Russian jeweler I met years
ago raved about it. I never had the opportunity to play with it, but
thought it was an interesting concept.

Perhaps the problems you encountered led Otto Frei to drop it from
their catalog.

Donna Shimazu

regarding rectangular drawplate, why would you not use a wire
rolling mill and make square wire and then use a plate mill to
flatten the square to a rectangle. That is what I do. $300 or less
could get a small mill that would do that, probably the cost of
having a drawplate made.

1 Like

Debbie Have you thought of putting square wire through a rolling
mill? Or is this too obvious?

David Kelsall

Gā€™day

You can make a rectangular wire die to your own size and/or shape.
Take two pieces of 3/8inch thick flat steel about an inch by three
quarters and file two edges dead square so they meet perfectly.
Clamp the pieces edge to edge and using a drill which is the tapping
diameter for the size of the small bolt you will use to bolt the
pieces together, edge to edge.

Drill a hole right through both pieces. Take them apart, and
enlarge the hole in one piece to the exact size to clear the bolt.
Tap a thread right through the second piece. Now bolt the two
together with a single bolt and hold in a vice.

Drill a tapping hole through both pieces opposite the previous edge
hole, separate the pieces and drill the clearance hole, and tap a
thread in the hole in the other piece. Bolt the pieces together.
Mark out the profile of the required wire on each piece accurately
on both sides of each piece, and carefully file a slot the size and
thickness of the required wire in the edge of one of the pieces and
round the edge of the slots of both pieces to make wire insertion
easier;; (note the trumpet profile of the holes in an ordinary wire
drawing die, and imitate this on the flat slot you have filedā€¦
Donā€™t file the slot in the other piece of the die, but curve the
entrance like the first piece. Now curve the slot edge in the back
of both pieces to make a small emergent curve for the wire to be
drawn. Clean up the slot with 200 grit paper. followed by finer
paper until the slot has a polish. When drawing a wire treat this
die exactly as though it were a normal single piece die.

Note that you may change the distance between the two parts of the
die so as to reduce the flat wire gently. Use wax on the wire as a
lubricant, and anneal frequently.

Sounds complicated and difficult? It isnā€™t difficult at all. Just
think about what I have said, and if you like, make a sketch of
each step to help visualise it. It works; I have made and used such
dies myself. Note that you can make dies for wedge shaped wire or
anything you like. Even using ordinary mild steel the die will
last for quite a number of drawings. To make it last longer use a
surface hardening technique, using Kasenit case-hardening powder or
similar. (Ask about this later if you really need it.)

Cheers for now,
JohnB of Mapua, Nelson NZ

You can make a rectangular wire die to your own size and/or shape.
Take two pieces of 3/8inch thick flat steel about an inch by three
quarters and file two edges dead square so they meet perfectly. ...
Sounds complicated and difficult? It isn't difficult at all.

Hello John,

My apologies, I know this post is a few weeks old. I had hoped that
by coming back to it a few times I might be able to piece it together
but Iā€™m afraid I get pretty lost in this description. Iā€™ve even tried
making paper models of the process but to no avail.

Do you have a picture of the finished plates or know where I can see
one? Anything of that nature would help Iā€™m sure. My mind tends to
work better with visual aids. :slight_smile:

Failing that would you entertain a few questions? If so:

  • where is the hole? In the center of the plate(s) or on the edge?

  • are the plates stacked, one on top of the other, or are they
    skewed?

  • is there a hole in both plates or just one? (ok, that sounds pretty
    silly but in the description you say ā€œDonā€™t file the slot in the other
    piece of the dieā€ so ā€¦ well, Iā€™m lost again)

  • what effect do the bolts have? I understand that they can be used
    to vary the distance between the plates but to what effect? If the
    wire is passing through one hole and into another what difference does
    it make how far those holes are apart?

Any further would be much appreciated.

If not, thatā€™s ok too. Iā€™ll keep the post and ponder it as time goes
by.

Cheers,
Trevor F.

You can make a rectangular wire die to your own size and/or shape.

Hello group,

In an offline discussion John Burgess has provided a photo and some
additional details on the process he mentions above. Thinking that
this material might be of interest to the group I have gathered the
various pieces of this topic together on a single web page entitled
ā€œMaking a Wire Dieā€ at

My thanks go to John and Hanuman for their permission to reprint this
material.

Cheers,
Trevor F.

I donā€™t know if anyone replied with a source for rectangle
drawplates, I found some, along with more unusual shapes than I have
ever seen anywhere

at Drawplates & Accessories | Shor International

Shor International Corporation @ Ganoksin
https://www.ganoksin.com/resources/detail-shor_international_corporation-
1553.html

Help others make informed buying decisions with Shor International
Corporation. We welcome your opinions and experiences with
ordering, customer service and and over all satisfaction.

Write an Anonymous Review
http://www.ganoksin.com/resources/review.php?id=1553

Richard in Denver

I havenā€™t been following this thread but I do know that Otto Frei has
these drawplates. You would be amazed at the drawplates they have or
can make for you. They show 475 different drawplates that you can
order. Standard disclaimer that I have no connection to the company.
I just happen to have their catalog on the desk.

Rodney Carroll
RC Gems

I haven't been following this thread but I do know that Otto Frei
has these drawplates. You would be amazed at the drawplates they
have or can make for you. They show 475 different drawplates that
you can order. Standard disclaimer that I have no connection to the
company. I just happen to have their catalog on the desk.

As many of you have replied about Otto Frei being able to custom
make draw plates, I just wanted to let you all know that I spoke to
Amber there at length and their supplier is not able to make a
rectangular draw plate with a consistent height. So, if anyone knows
of a different source, we would really appreciate it. We are
specifically looking for a height of 16g that is 36g to 6g.

Thank you!
Debbie Parent
Parabian99 AT aol.com

Hi Debbi,

As many of you have replied about Otto Frei being able to custom
make draw plates, I just wanted to let you all know that I spoke
to Amber there at length and their supplier is not able to make a
rectangular draw plate with a consistent height.

Another source you might try is Progress Tools
(http://www.progresstool.com/) in LA. Their 2003 catalog lists 3
different types of rectangular drawplates. One has a height thatā€™s
75% of the width, on 50% & one 33%.

Donā€™t know if any of these will fit your requirements or not.

Another possibility is to roll your own wire. Start with a
rectangular or square wire of the correct width & roll it to the
desired thickness.

Progress Machine & Tool at Ganoksin

1853.html

Help others make informed buying decisions with Progress Machine &
Tool. We welcome your opinions and experiences with their products,
ordering, customer service and and over all satisfaction.

Write an Anonymous Review
http://www.ganoksin.com/resources/review.php?id=1853

Dave