Shop Layout

I will be relocating my nine person trade shop next year. I have
been putting much thought into designing an comfortable, organized,
productive well ventilated shop. Any suggestions regarding books,
articles or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Mark

My studio is currently in the process of being expanded and
renovated. As I’ve done my layout on paper several times the thought
that keeps coming up is that I never want my back to be facing the
door… This is for security reasons and for the fact that we all go
into a “trance” or meditative state when we’re concentrating
intensely on our projects.

While we’re working at the bench or at the computer desk we always
need to be aware of who’s coming or going… the same rule applies
with anyone else who is working in the shop. I’m preparing a new
bench area for an apprentice and I want to keep an eye on them as
well. The front of the bench (bench pin) should never face the
doorway either. The eyes in the back of my head are good, but not
perfect. Safety and security is always my number one priority, as it
should be for all of us.

Best of Luck with your move… it’s a real adventure !

Margie Mersky
www.mmwaxmodels.com

   I will be relocating my nine person trade shop next year. I
have been putting much thought into designing an comfortable,
organized, productive well ventilated shop. Any suggestions
regarding books, articles or ideas will be appreciated.

The latest AJM has a very good article about organization and
cleanliness as it relates to productivity. We moved our shop a few
months ago and spent a great deal of time going over and streamlining
our processes and equipment layout. I began reading the article
thinking I knew everything, and found it had some tricks I hadn’t
thought of.

Also, a Feng-Shui book won’t hurt. Some of it’s a little out there,
but the basic premise is creating an environment that’s inviting and
safe. It will have you clearing pathways and positioning equipment
so you can see the doors, among other practical things.

Dana Carlson
The Alchemist Casting Shop
Casting for the trade and for artists in platinum, gold, silver & bronze
(206) 933-9255

Hello Dana,

I suggest you must go through Bradney W. Simon’s ‘It’s About Time’,
a guide to improve productivity in jewelry shop. He has given good
tips on how to set up a productive workshop. It contents 80 minutes
of video instruction and 78 pages of articles. It is available on a
set of CD rom . You can contact them on www.BWSimon.com

Wish you all the best for your new shop.

Kind Regards,

Yatin Chaubal.
Sunjewels India Pvt. Ltd.
@Yatin_Chaubal