Best glue for assembling metal parts?

Blush, I feel kind of dirty just asking that question . It goes
against the fine ideals of jewelry and modelmaking I learned a long
time ago. But that was a long time ago , and it won’t be me doing
the gluing anyway , so my principles can remain untarnished and I
can still sleep at night .

So what’s the latest miracle glue around town these days?. My bottle
of super-superglue (a variant of cyanoacrylate that relies on oxygen
deprivation for adhesion) doesn’t seem to work as well for me as it
did the gentleman at the State Fair where I got it. Maybe because the
circumstances of the parts themselves ; not enough contact area to
deprive of oxygen, I hope. Anyway , I doubt epoxy would work , so I’m
open to suggestions and examples .

Thanks ,
Dar , the SHELTECH guy
www.sheltech.net
sheltech@yahoo.com

Hi, Dar, You don’t say what you’re trying to glue, but I have grown
pretty fond of E6000. It is thick and gooey, but it can be
compressed to very thin if needed, and bonds dissimilar materials
very strongly. It has a fairly long working time, and remains a bit
flexible. In my tests, it was the only candidate that cemented
titanium to silver even under stress and shear pressure. It’s great
as a backing for opals or other non-flat cabs.

I look forward to other replies! My husband has accused me of fixing
everything with silicon or epoxy, but its not a fair statement-- I
also use super glue (especially Zap-a-Gap, which I also use for
first aid) and E6000!

–Noel

Hello Dar,

Blush not as this is more common a question than you may think. I
always try and recommend other methods but not everyone has the
ability or tools to bond metal or other materials other than
adhesives. So for these people I recommend the 3M VHB adhesive tape.
It bonds metals and dissimilar materials very well, i.e. metal and
glass, the only draw back is it is .044" thick and leaves a little
gap after curing. Yes it does cure similar to epoxies and sticks
like crazy. You can find it on page 386 of our tools catalog.

All the best!
Thackeray Taylor
Rio Grande Technical Support.

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a suitable glue that is obtainable in the UK?
Overseas suppliers will often not ship glues and the like because of
postal and other regulations.

Pat

    Does anyone know of a suitable glue that is obtainable in the
UK? Overseas suppliers will often not ship glues and the like
because of postal and other regulations.

Try your local model shop or Games Workshop. Contact me off list if
you would help locating one.

Bill Bedford
@Bill_Bedford