Jewelry with human ashes

Has anyone ever used human ashes (“cremains”) in enamel, PMC or
other work? I am new to PMC and wish to incorporate some of my
father’s ashes into some pieces. Thanks in advance.

Cindy

On the subject: I know someone who took her cat’s ashes and
incorporated them into cement then packed the lot into a hollow
paper mache cat ( the mold so to speak) then removed the paper mache
form and voila, had a beautiful life-sized cat ornament to place in
the garden. Quite a nice idea, I thought. So I don’t see how one
couldn’t do the same with PMC.

I have seen or heard of (can’t remember which) lampworked beads
containing cremains.

Courtney Hipp
Courtney Graham Hipp
cgHipp Jewelry Designs

Don’t know, but there is at least one company that will make a
diamond from human ashes now…last time I looked it was about
$4000 for a 1/4 ct cut stone from your ‘loved one’ talk about family
jewels@

Jeanne Rhodes Moen
Kristiansand, Norway
http://www.jeanniusdesigns.com

Hi Cindy,

You might consider creating a piece (in PMC) and then adding the
ashes, along with a colorant such as powdered flowers, etc., to resin
as an inlay. My only concern would be the handling of the ashes. As a
general rule, when using resins you should work in a well ventilated
area, but I would add gloves and a respirator (or at least a dust
mask) while working with the ashes. As with shells and other organic
materials you should always take care while sanding, etc. so as not
to not inhale loose materials.

Some may find the idea of using remains as morbid, but it is not too
far astray from the Victorian practice of creating Mouring Jewelry
with some personal remembrance of the deceased.

If you haven’t worked with resin inlay, check out the archives.
Also, feel free to contact me offline.

Best of luck,
Pam

Hi, Cindy -

I have to agree with Pam’s comments about proper protection from
breathing and exposure. There were some issues I recently encountered
regarding an urn - and I can tell you that the ashes are very fine
particles, and not a good idea to breathe. Very silty.

Where you don’t know exactly what chemicals may be contained
therein, and it may also be unknown as to the combined interactions
between the ashes and any other substances or processes, wearing a
respirator and gloves, avoiding stirring them about dry, using care
when sanding, and using proper ventilation are definitely good ideas!

Best to you,
Mary Beth M.

At one time I did think of mixing human ashes with resin for resin
inlay. Never did it though; has anyone?

Christine in Littleton, Massachusetts
No one deserves lung cancer.

  Some may find the idea of using remains as morbid, but it is not
too far astray from the Victorian practice of creating Mouring
Jewelry with some personal remembrance of the deceased.

I don’t think it’s morbid at all. In fact, when my time comes I’ll
be cremated and the ashes will be mixed in with the cement to make a
reef ball. The reef balls are then put into the ocean to become an
artificial reef. Once the reef gets going, they are quite lovely.
Try an internet search on “eternal reef”. Neat pictures. If you
can do it with cement, why not jewelry!

Cindy

I met someone who was thinking about designing ‘ancestor
amulets’…decorative hollow pendants with space for a small
quantity of a loved one’s ashes. Never found out if he followed
through with it though.

Dee

I just finished a piece for a friend who’s dog had died.

I put the ashes, just a pinch, in to a little glass vial, made a cap
for it and then before sealing added about a carat of .10pt diamonds.
It hangs on a snake chain.

Quote… “Best birthday present I ever, ever had!”

The company who make the stones is called life gem, check out the
site lifegem.com. It’s a pretty pricey service. My husband thought
it’s a cool idea. After all these years I’ve been trying to get him
off my back; so when he goes, he wants to be around my neck?? YIKES!!
lol

pen~

They make diamonds out of human ashes… Why not spend eternity as
a thing of beauty? Doctors have told me no hope so why not?

Ringman

I recently read (perhaps in Popular Science?) about a company that
will now use the carbon from cremated remains to create a synthetic
diamond. That’s not much to go on; if anybody is interested, I’ll
try to dig up the article for more

There is something fishy about the ash to diamond thing. Diamonds are
CARBON. Carbon is all burned up in cremation. ???

jesse

Here’s one link for diamonds from ashes…
http://jewelry.about.com/cs/syntheticdiamonds/a/lifegem_diamond.htm

Jeanne
Jeanne Rhodes Moen
Kristiansand, Norway
http://www.jeanniusdesigns.com

Carbon is what is left after cremation.

Courtney
Courtney Graham Hipp
cgHipp Jewelry Designs

I have made some very beautiful pieces in Pyrex that can be easily
adapted to contain human or pet ashes. I put the ashes into a
pyrex tube and collapse the tube, removing all air from around it.

I then incorporate the pyrex tube into a marble, briolette, bead,
or pendant, including 24 kt. gold, fine silver, 50 diffeent colors,
mystic dichroic glass backgrounds.

Once the ashes are immersed into the pyrex, they can be manipulated
as glass, swirled, colored, given backgrounds…the possibilities are
enormous.

After the piece is made, it can then be incorporated into fine
Jewelry. A marble can be enclosed into a hinged round cage, so the
piece can be removed.

A flat pendant can be wire wrapped or enclosed into a backless
bezel, so it can be rubbed as a worry stone.

Jean Stark designed a piece years ago and taught it in her classes.
It is granulated Acorn , with the top being 22kt gold with beautiful
granulation, and the bottom being an emerald cut to the porpotions
of an Acorn. I’ll ask Jean if she minds, but I think this would
adapt beautifully to a pendant with the loved ones remains suspended
in glass under a canopy of 22Kt gold beautifully adorned with
granulation by Jean.

I will make several samples this weekend and put them on my web page
so yall can see and perhaps offer to your customers who need such a
thing.

If there is any interest, I can photo the whole process and put it
up there also. Its really qutie simple, and the piece can be made as
mellow or as elegant as you wish, its up to the Artist or customer.

Love and God Bless
-randy
http://www.rocksmyth.com

Jesse… what do you think might color a diamond other than the
trace elements in our body? truth is carbon is also changed under
heat and combined with ashes would result in something… look up
the website

Ringman

A Google of cremains and diamond found this one:

Christine in Littleton, Massachusetts
No one deserves lung cancer.

 Carbon is what is left after cremation.

Carbon may be (part of) what is left after incomplete cremation.

What’s left after proper cremation is bone ash - phosphates and
such, maybe some carbonates. White and gritty.

Tas, whose parents’ bone ashes lie under her hearth