Revere Hosts Jizai Reception

http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/jiazi.htm

Jizai the traditional Japanese art of realistic, fully articulated
animals in silver, is currently on view at the Revere Academy of
Jewelry Arts, 760 Market Street, Suite 900, San Francisco,
California.

The amazing collection of hand made silver creatures was created by
Yasuo Tanaka, Revere’s senior instructor, and his family. The
collection is on view until September 30, 2004. An artist’s
reception, which is open to the public, will be held on September
17th at 6:00 pm.

Jizai dates back to the early sixteenth century and has been passed
down through the Tanaka family. There are only three remaining
family members practicing this craft, including Yasuo Tanaka and his
father Tadakazu Tanaka. Jizai objects are hand made using jewelry
processes with hinges, rivets, gears and joints that allow flexible,
realistic movement, as if the animals were alive.

Yasuo Tanaka is a sixth generation silversmith and youngest
descendent of the family practicing Jizai. He is also a working
goldsmith and jewelry designer in Oakland, California. At the
reception, Mr. Tanaka will discuss the history of Jizai in his
family. For more

call Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts 415.391.4179. Admission is free.

I hope some of you can join us!

Christine Dhein
Assistant Director
Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts, Inc.
760 Market St., Suite 900
San Francisco, CA 94102
@Christine_Dhein

Continue from:

See the Orchid Jiazi Gallery at:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/jiazi.htm

I had the pleasure of attending the Jizai reception at the Revere
Academy last Friday night. It was a wonderful experience to see
variety of Jizai creatures that the Tanaka family has made. Yasuo
Tanakas presentation about his family’s work was both enjoyable and
informative and the workmanship represented in the exhibit is
extraordinary. If you are anywhere near San Francisco you should
make every effort to see the exhibit ( it ends Sept. 30).

Thanks to Alan Revere and the Revere Academy staff for providing the
space to show this wonderful work.

Jim Binnion

James Binnion Metal Arts
Phone (360) 756-6550
Toll Free (877) 408 7287
Fax (360) 756-2160

@James_Binnion
Member of the Better Business Bureau

We, too ,were at the reception last Friday…The presentation was
wonderful and the creatures are incredible!..Please make it a point
to see if you are in Northern Ca. You will not be wasting your
time… Many thanks to Yaz & Alan & all for the great evening and
cultural event!!! Personally, I felt that not only did I see &
touch some great metal pieces but I was able to understand in more
depth due to Yaz’s presentation a generational crafts-no make that
art and its historical significance!!!..Sincerly,

Jo-Ann & John Donivan

It was, indeed, an amazing display. Sadly, I completely forgot about
the reception. With Jim’s reminder, I scrambled up there yesterday
afternoon to see the Jizai pieces. They are truly magnificent works of
art. I heartily recommend it to anyone who lives close enough to make
it up there in the next few days.

-Cortney