Cold enameling with colored resin

Hello! I am experimenting with cold enameling and plique a jour with
colored resin and sterling silver. I’ve been reading a book by
Kathie Murphy which has been informative on the subject, however, my
concern is that the sterling silver may end up discoloring the metal
and resin. Her book recommends that I should treat the surface of
the metal to prevent discoloring, however, it does not teach you how
to treat the metal. Any suggestions on how to treat the metal?
Thank you for your time!

lisa

I have not used resin but I would guess that you need to raise a
fire coat. This is done by repeatedly heating the silver and
pickling it. It’s a good idea to brass brush it with water and
detergent between heatings. Continue with this cycle until the
silver is dead white. The surface is now depletion gilded which
means that copper in the sterling alloy has been removed from the
surface. This leaves a thin fine silver layer. You could avoid this
by using fine silver.

Marilyn Smith

Cold enameling is not considered enameling. It is colored resin and
not enamel. Louise

I worked with epoxy mixed with glass enamel powder for quite a
while. I never had any problem with cross contamination between the
resin and the silver. Some types of epoxy yellow over time (a year
or more), but the metal was (still is) fine, and those epoxies
yellow whether they’re in contact with metal or not. I can’t comment
on Colores or any of the other types of resins.

And, for Pete’s sake, can we stop gnawing on the nomenclature? So it
isn’t traditional enamel. Neither is the Red Devil paint I put on my
kid’s dresser, but that is called enamel. No one is misled by that.
Let’s just agree to disagree, OK?

Noel

2 Likes

Referring to colored resin as “cold enameling” is false and
deceptive advertising. If one is using resin, it should be referred
to as “resin,” not “enamel.” Whether it is applied with or
without heat is not relevant Enamel is enamel, and resin is resin.
The two are totally different products, Alma

Thankyou for the clarification I use genuine vitrious enamel in my
work and am constantly having to to explain the diference Glue dries
glass vitrifies.

Kevin