Weaving metal

Hi Out there! Is there anyone who have info ro referrals to
techniques on loom or off loom weaving of wire…I’ve gotten nice
direction to info on knitting wire and also crocheting wire, but I’m
really interested in weaving …using basketry I think, or card or
loom or other…:>) (just thought I’d better get it all in…). Can
anyone help? Would absolutely appreciate the direction.
WovenandWired! @sadie_jenkins1

    direction to info on knitting wire and also crocheting wire,
but I'm really interested in weaving ...using basketry I think, or
card or

The Braid Society (http://www.braidsociety.org/) can probably help
you with wire and inkle, card weaving (tablet weaving), kumihimo and
the like. They have an open membership mailing list you can join by
sending “subscribe braidsandbands” in the body of the message to
majordomo@braidsociety.org

Carol Wang

Sadie,

I use a sort of a loom in my knot-tying, I suppose, and the knots
look like basket-weave if you only look at a section at a time. Does
that qualify? I’d think that the main problems would be, as they are
for me, controlling the wire so that it doesn’t kink, and keeping it
soft until it is in place.

I conduct workshops in tying knots in wire, from time to time.

Loren

There is a good book to use for reference of metal weaving
techniques by Arline M. Fisch called Textile Techniques in Metal
(for Jewelers, Textile Artists & Sculptors).

It contains basically an encyclopaedia of techniques, including card
weaving, braiding, knitting, crocheting, bobbin weaving, loom
weaving, etc… Most of the photographs are black & white (though
there is a gallery of color at the end), and the explainations of
the techniques are succinct but clear enough to follow (although you
may want to explore additional sources that expand on the topics
you’re most interested in).

–Terri

Have you read Arline Fisch’s book, Textile Techniques in Metal? She
has a chapter on weaving there. I’ve been experimenting a little
with weaving wire, and have had some success using very small looms
that were intended to make things like potholders. I would say just
get a very very small loom and experiment with different sizes of
wire, weaving in the same manner that you would with yarn. Try a
local toy store or craft store for kids - they usually have small
weaving looms, round knitting looms, etc. that you don’t see at
"grown up" stores. Plus, instructions written for eight year olds
tend to be very clear and well-illustrated.

– Leah

Hey, thanks mucho Leah, ( we have a family friend of childhool
times named Leah…you’re only the second one I’ve met - or e-talked
with (:>) ). I will visit a toy store today! I do have Arline
Fisch’s book and it is great. I just hoped that more on the subject
had surfaced since her book, and especially since I hear that she is
now retired. Please share some of your projects with me. I’d love to
see them or a description of them. Hope to chat more. Sadie (Woven and
wired) sandklrn@sbcglobal.net

i used one of those small black looms usually sold for children, and
using sterling silver made a wonderful bracelet just experimenting.
it didn’t turn out the way i thought it would but i knew it was a
keeper. how you ask? daughter came through and it left on her
wrist…

pat
http://members.aol.com/patmcaudel/2index.html

You might check out beading supplies. I have seen looms advertised
there and I think that they would be better than what you find in a
toy store. They should have provisions for making sheds in different
arrangements to facilitate different weaves. I am assuming that you
would want to use fine wire and do some pattern work as is done with
other fibers. I have seen pictures of twill weave for example but I
can’t think where.

Marilyn Smith

To All who are interested in Textile Techniques applied to Metal.
Peter Collingwood’s Book “The Maker’s hand” is part of my personal
library,it contains a large overview concerning various techniques
all over the world.His book on ‘Sprang’ is very interesting too. He
knows a lot on card-weaving,he is an expert.He also has a website:
http://www.petercollingwood.co.uk I have corresponded with him some
years ago,he seems to be a charming person and he may help in finding
new perspectives on metal’weaving’.

Good Luck
Sigrid

Hello Loren; regarding this earlier e-mail reply to me, you mentioned
using a sort of loom in your knot- tying. Can you send a pic or
describe the loom to me please. Where can I get one. It was
suggested that I use the “child’s” loom for potholders, but I really
would like to own a professional loom. And what do you think of the
commercial knitting looms used mainly for fiber. I’ve been
intrigued with the idea…I saw one recently on sale at a JOAnn
Fabric Craft center and thought that I might invest in one. I
imagine that wire would tangle in it. But for structural forms for
wall hangings, I thought that as the yarn fiber was knitted with the
machine, I could go back and work in wire for interest and texture.
Does that sound a little nieve…sometimes my imagination takes me
places that in reality may not be doable…

Anyway I certainly would like to try a loom, and knot-tying with
wire as you’ve described. I’ve started fiddling around with the wire
following some really “child level” knots, etc… Hope to hear from
you soon. I truly hope this is not boring you or taking up space in
your mailbox. I really enjoy getting your e-mail replies and tips.
Thanks loads! Sadie