Galaxy's Largest Diamond

A diamond has been found that is 10 billion trillion trillion
carats, or 2,500 miles across. Check it out:

Article at http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/press/pr0407.html

Picture (artist’s conception) at
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/press/pr0407image.html

Elaine Luther
Chicago area, Illinois, USA
Metalsmith, Certified PMC Instructor
Studio 925; established 1992
@E_Luther

Hello Elaine - Thank you for this! :o) Of course now I’m trying to
imagine:

The size of the being, That would have a hand large enough to have a
finger sporting a ring that was set with this stone cut as large as it
could be…

Sort of like really trying hard to grasp the size of those “star
nurseries”. Very cool indeedy.

-Mary Beth Mudgett
Rural New Hampshire (Venus is particularly bright tonight…)

Looking at the ‘artists impression’ of the star I wonder who it was
cut and faceted the diamond centre already?

Best Wishes,
Ian
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

Ian W. Wright :

   Looking at the 'artists impression' of the star I wonder who it
was cut and faceted the diamond centre already?

G’day; I too have doubts; I thought that a natural crystal of
diamond would be something close to an octahedron? Perhaps the
artist wasn’t properly briefed. Nice animation though. –

Cheers for now,
John Burgess; @John_Burgess2 of Mapua, Nelson NZ

jpm sent out the following in its email newsheet a couple of weeks
back:

The idea of bringing gold, diamonds and other commodities from space
has gripped the imagination of scientists and sci-fi writers for many
years. Indeed in the late 1990s there was the announcement from
astronomers at Iowa State University that star BPM37093 was possibly
made of diamond - total estimated weight ten million billion billion
carats. But now the reverse journey is possible. Jewellery is among
the personal mementos that California-based firm, TransOrbital -
http://www.transorbital.net/ - offers to deliver to the moon surface
at $2,500 per gram. It hopes to begin its lunar delivery service
later this year. As to why the star it is already facetted - it is a
closely guarded secret that some gems are mined ready-facetted. The
gem trade doesn’t let on about about this, but Disney provided a rare
glimpse in Snow White where, if you remember, the dwarves were mining
all types of ready facetted gems. And Disney can’t be wrong surely?
Perhaps their knowledge of the location of this mine is one reason
that they are a target for a takeover…

Jack Ogden