Tarnish Prevention - Sterling Silver

My new line is all sterling and I’ve decided not to rhodium-plate
the pieces. Any suggestions for the best (quickest, least mess)
product that will prevent quick tarnishing?

Catherine

I have had good results with a simple, inexpensive 2 step plating
process with a product called Tarn-A-Void. Eisinger Enterprises,
Newark, NJ. 800-282-1980. or OxiGuard from Gesswein, Bridgeport, CT.
800-243-4466. The coating is invisible and bonds to the surface
unlike painted coatings. No connection, just satisfied customer.

One of the simplest anti-tarnish techniques I use for the sterling
in my line is cleaning all pieces thoroughly with Simple Green before
they leave the studio. I have even had jewelry stores say that my
line seems to not tarnish as much as other lines. This has got to be
the reason!

Cheers, Reba

Hi Tony,

I’m wondering what type of equipment you have to use these products?
I haven’t done any plating so currently have no equipment for this in
my shop. I took a look at both sites and the rectifiers they offer,
$149-199 seem like a reasonable investment for they time and mess
they would save.

Does anyone else have any input on equipment?

Thanks,
Pam

I have had good results with a simple, inexpensive 2 step plating
process with a product called Tarn-A-Void.

Do you think this would work well to prevent patina from wearing off?

Lora Hart

The coating is done at room temperature (no fumes or hotplate)
requires only a small rectifier (10 amp will be sufficient) a covered
stainless steel pot for the step 1 (A solution) and a soak beaker for
the step 2 (B solution). This could be a large glass jar. If you
prefer, set up for each step a “drag out” pot (another glass jar to
dip-rinse your work and keep the solutions from going down the
drain). Mark your solution levels with a permanent marker or tape and
use the drag out tank water to replenish the corresponding solutions
as they are used up.

When the solution is fresh, take a piece that you have just coated
and put it into a solution of liver of sulfur. See how long it takes
for the oxidation to occur verses a part with no coating). This will
be a handy guide to test your solution process to see how efficient
it is working and when it may be used up and need re-make. You may
also want to investigate 3M Tarni-Shield strips (Rio Grande stocks
them 800-545-6566) to place into your packaged goods. Also steer
clear of any packaging materials which contain sulfur compounds (many
paperboards and rubber goods such as bands)

Try the new Stuller first anti-tarnish recloseable plastic bag It has
film that neutralizes the corrosive gases that attack silver , gold
or platinum. Ensures a tarnish free product even when open a lot of
times

Andy “The Tool Guy” Kroungold
Sales/ Tools and Technical
Stuller Inc.
337-262-7700 ext. 4194
337-262-7791 fax
andy_kroungold@stuller.com

I’ve used a couple of things successfully: I used to get camphor
squares and crumble them and put the crumbles in little flannel
pouches about 1 inch square. I made the pouches with liquid stitch. I
think the camphor works beautifully. Now I am using Rio Grande’s
Anti-Tarnish Strips. They are okay too and much less time-consuming.
J. S. Ellington

Thread link: http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/200401/msg00796.htm
My new line is all sterling and I've decided not to rhodium-plate
the pieces.  Any suggestions for the best (quickest, least mess)
product that will prevent quick tarnishing?

Camphor ‘retards’ the Tarnishing process with silver… Good for
extended storge

Jim

My new line is all sterling and I've decided not to rhodium-plate
the pieces.  Any suggestions for the best (quickest, least mess)
product that will prevent quick tarnishing?

Have your new line cast or fabricated in De-Oxidizing/Anti-firescale
Sterling, this alloy contains very little if any copper, which is
what causes most of the tarnishing in Sterling, some of the
components are Boron, Indium, Silicon, and pure magic I believe. If
you like the “color” of Rhodium plated silver" then you should be
satisfied with the more modern “alloy”. Also with little or no
copper, I believe there may also be a benefit of having less
allergenic reactions. No Proof on this but I have not seen as many
instances as with AG-CU alloys. For most purposes it solders and forms
like AG-CU alloy, but casts at higher temperatures, both metal and
flask temps are elevated. Bottom line is that as long as the silver
contains .925 parts fine silver, it can still be labeled as Sterling
at least in the U.S. As a matter of conscience though I stamp all of
the pieces I cast with it .925 rather than Sterling. This discussion
regarding whether or not it is sterling was an issue several months
ago on Orchid, The Federal Trade Commission simply states that any
article stamped Sterling must contain 925/1000 fine silver by assay.
It does not state that the remaining .075 must be copper or any other
material, only that the fine silver content be 925/1000.

Kenneth Ferrell

3M makes a product called Tarni-Shield strips and Tabs. It is a
treated paper and it is supplied in various forms. You place a piece
in the bag with the jewelry. This will inhibit tarnish in transit or
in storage. Rio Grande 800-545-6566 carries them as well as many
other suppliers.

I have noticed that anti-tarnish products seem to be in high demand
by some Orchid folks. I just received an ad from Stuller, offering
anti-tarnish zip-grip bags. Cost: from $17.28 to $58.91 per 1,000.
(standard disclaimer goes here)

David Barzilay
Lord of the Rings
607 S Hill St Ste 850
Los Angeles, CA 90014-1718
213-488-9157

Try the silver protection paper from www.silverprotection.com Much
much cheaper than 3m anti tarnish paper Mail to
sander.lock@silverprotection.com

Greetings
Martin Niemeiejr
N design
compositions in precious metal
Rieteweg 10
8041 AK, Zwolle
Netherlands
info@ndesign.nl; www.ndesign.nl
Phone/fax +31 38 750 1258
mobile +31 6 518 315 76

As well Stuller now sells the anti- tarnish poly-bags… Works with
silver and gold and even platinum…

Andy “The Tool Guy” Kroungold
Sales/ Tools and Technical
Stuller Inc.