What is Koren Jade?

I just bought some Koren Jade beads and tried to do a search but
came up with nothing. Is this real jade? Where does it come from? It
is transclucent, of an milky yellowish-green color. Sort of like
Olive Jade but not as opaque. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
Thanks in advance!

H Wu,

The “Korean Jade” is actually actinolite which is a silicate of the
amphibole family aka tremolite. Some believe Korean Jade is
serpentine (also a silicate), and while associated with the bowenite
serpentine, it is more fiberous than the granular bowenite.
Bowenite, also called ‘serpentine jade’ can run from a hardness of 2
through 5 while actinolite runs from 5 thru 6.5. Any other views
gratefully accepted.

I have cut a lot of korean jade and like it very much. I still have
some that is mutton fat, some brownish and some that is a light
green. When properly cut and polished it is very translucent and
seems to actually glow. I understand that in the late 70’s the jade
seam began to run into the demilitarized zone between N/S Korea and
mining had to stop. Don’t know what the current status is but I know
you don’t see much of it on the market these days. By the way, it is
a perfect carving material.

If you provide your email address, I’ll send you a picture of a
pendent I did some years back.

Cheers from Don at The Charles Belle Studio in SOFL where simple
elegance IS fine jewelry! @coralnut2

Hi All

Korean jade is a misleading term for serpentine. Serpentine appears
to look like jadeite jade but is not jadeite jade at all. Softer
than jadeite-jade. Why not take an refractive index reading to be
sure or carry out hydrostatic test i.e. the S.G. of ‘Korean jade’ is
totally different from jadeite-jade.

Regards,

Tay
Singapore
www.gem.com.sg

I would bet it is not Jadite, probably Nephrite, Serpentine,
Bowenite or something else. but usually Jade is only called Jade, and
any other (korean, california, whatever jade) is just a misnomer.

I would bet it is not Jadite, probably Nephrite, Serpentine,
Bowenite or something else.

Aaron, BOTH jadeite (correct spelling) AND nephrite are legitimately
called ‘jade.’ David

         but usually Jade is only called Jade, and any other
(korean, california, whatever jade) is just a misnomer Many, many
other minerals are also called 'jade' incorrectly, but 'California
jade' IS nephrite jade. For example: 'Peking Jade' is green glass.
'Korean  Jade' and 'Hunan Jade' are serpentine.

One cannot simply make a determination based on the name which has
been attached, as it’s often WRONG. In addition, much jade today has
been plastic impregnated (called ‘B’ jade) and it requires very
sophisticated equipment to test.

My best source for all jade and jade is always Mason-Kay
in Denver. (They also HAVE the test equipment, and will test for a
fee.) www.masonkay.com

David Barzilay, G.G.
Lord of the Rings
607 S Hill St Ste 850
Los Angeles, CA 90014-1718
213-488-9157

The responses on Korean Jade seemed confusing to me so I thought I’d
try to contribute either to clearing it up or confusing it more. As
I understand it, the “mutton fat” Korean Jade is a nephrite that is
closer to the tremolite side than the actinolite. Tremolite, as I’ve
read, is at the whiter range of nephrite while actinolite is at the
greener. Actinolite crystals are a wonderful blue/green. So if the
original reference of Koren Jade was to the lighter colored material,
it is probably a nephrite jade rather than a serpentine, which is
much softer. In any case it is not jadeite.

It is also my understanding that the mining on this material stopped
quite some time ago because whatever of it might be left is under the
DMZ between North and South Korea.

The stuff is in fact lovely to cut and takes a polish with
incredible ease.

Derek Levin

... but usually Jade is only called Jade, and any other (korean,
california, whatever jade) is just a misnomer."

Sort of.

Jadeite and nephrite are both properly called jade. Calling other
material that you sell “jade” is tantamount to fraud.

Tony Konrath
Key West Florida 33040