Re: [Orchid] The secret of faceted stones and bezels

coralnut Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Wendy,

    Using step bezels need not be all that difficult. Simply wrap the
    stone with the bezel wire with the stone at the bearing line.  When
    it is the correct fit, solder.  If the top part of the wire has
    closed in a bit (which as you say, it always seems to do) just insert
    a mandrel of the correct size and shape in from the top and give it a
    bit of a tap with a mallet....not a hammer as that would change the
    size...the mallet simply changes the shape.

    Cheers from Don at The Charles Belle Studio in SOFL where simple
    elegance IS fine jewelry! dcdietz AT comcast.net