Re: [Orchid] Coral Beads

coralnut Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Joyce,

    Judging from the size of the beads you purchased, my guess is they
    are beads made of bamboo coral and my bet is that they ARE dyed.

    True red beads of that size are virtually unheard of these days,
    having been depleted in the great red coral rush of the mid 70's.
    Cost of a true red coral bead that size would be in the several
    hundreds of dollars.

    The so-called Tibeten red coral beads on the market today are for
    the most part bamboo coral that was been dyed.  The sunburst pattern
    you see is the outline of the many animals that originally made up
    the coral colony.  The black markings are simply imperfections.

    Cheers from Don at The Charles Belle Studio in SOFL where simple
    elegance IS fine jewelry! dcdietz AT comcast.net