[Orchid] Silicone and french cleat mounting

Karen Seymour-Ells Tuesday, January 06, 2004

    Now there is a confusing heading for you.

    This is in reference to the conversation about mounting enamel wall
    panels. I prefer they "float" vs. being mounted in a frame or on a
    backer board which is visible on the edge of the piece.

    For very small work, say 8" square copper and under I simply use a
    diamond bit to rough up the surface of the enamel and use 100%
    silicone (I am partial to the GE brand as someone else mentioned they
    were too) to attach those sawtoothed hangars to the back of the piece
    and they stay great.

    The problem arrives with heavier work, I need a larger surface than
    the sawtooth hanger has for attaching to the piece. Thanks to Orchid
    member Mark for recomending this web site which features a kind of
    metal version of a french cleat:

    http://www.panelclip.com/panel.htm

    This has promise, although I have to make sure to remember to
    provide the 2nd part of the hanger to the customer. Anyone have any
    wise words on attaching this with silicone to a larger piece? I have
    some 12" square 18 gauge enamel panels that have been hanging with
    wood backers for 15 years or so. The surface area that is siliconed
    is about 9" square on those. I also wonder, if I do try one out, how
    long do I let it hang for a test before I decide it is "safe". As
    always, any wisdom you have to offer is welcomed.

Karen