What would you do with a tree stump?

Hi, First timer here. I got a tree stump to use in my studio
from a neighbor cutting sown a tree line. Now that I have this nice
BIG (I think) maple stump in my basement what do I do with it? I
know I need it to dry and not split open. Any suggestions? Thanks,
Sharon Abood

Seal the ends with paint so that it doesn’t dry too fast and
split. If cut in the summer and the tree was alive it will have a
lot of moisture and need to dry very slowly . I will see if I can
find more advice. jesse

Hi Sharon- How large is is the “stump”? Is it a section of the stump
or is it the whole stump- with roots trainling and the like? If it’s
a section then with access to a large lathe it could be turned into a
ceremonial bowl with metal/gem inlay (perhaps bands with cabochons or
the like). If you know folks who are into hand-drumming (the
prosperous patchouli-and-granola crowd) you might find a drum maker
who would love to help you make a special musical instument with
beauty as well as form. If it’s a whole stump then the organic lines
from the roots and striations from the base of the trunk lend
themselves to all sorts of ideas: wire work, inlay,
gold/silver/copper leaf applique, etc. I live in a small artsy town,
and I’ve seen decorated tree stumps sawn up into pieces which are
then reassenbled into tables with drawers or really big stumps which
serve as bases for good-sized glass tabletops…

Just a few ideas

Clyde Gilbert
Greenwood Studio

Sharon if the tree was just cut you better put a couple strips of
wood under it. Floor will get stained and be wet. Maple is a good
choice of wood especially if hard maple and not sugar maple. It
would be better if the stump could be outside and dry out naturally
in a year or so. In the house it may crack more at the ends from the
house being drier. You really do not need to do nothing else, leave
the bark on until it starts to fall off. warren

I have a question, now that I’ve read a few responses to the
original post. Once the stump in question has dried and not cracked
and the bark peels off…what is it for? I’ve heard of a “shop stump”
before but wasn’t sure what it was.

One more question - what kinds of wood work as a shop stump, other
than maple?

– Leah
www.michondesign.com
@Leah2

Shop stump is a good term for I think what they want to do with it.
I have three stumps and all from different wood and all for different
uses. I have a oak stump for my anvil, black walnut big block of wood
for my stake holder, 6" vise, and small railroad rail anvil. The hard
maple stump I am currently making some relief bowls for forming. Just
turned 1/1/2 years old and dry enough to work with. Can’t let it
stain the metal. (is that true?) Maple is a good hard wood with
smooth close grain, therefore easy to carve and will keep the shapes
for a long time. The oak and black walnut were freebies and really
no problem with either one. If you are going to use the stump to
form on them besides maple would maybe beechnut, ash, or hickory.
Warren Townsend Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos