Safe pickle alternatives

Hi everyone, I’m looking for a non toxic pickle, but in the UK I
cannot find anything readily available even citrus pickles are
impossible to find. So is there something I can make-up myself,
which will do the job and is absolutely non toxic. I have recently
developed a breathing condition which is aggravated by anything which
is toxic or an irritant. Hoping for some luck here.

Regards
Alan Lewis
UK

The pickles used to digest copper oxides are acidic so the vapours
will all be irritants to some degree - you need to protect yourself
from the vapours Alan with appropriate breathing apparatus.

That said, a cup of vinegar with a tablespoon of common salt will
work perfectly well on copper oxides.

Al Heywood

 Alan said.....Hi everyone, I'm looking for a non toxic pickle,
but in the UK I cannot find anything readily available even citrus
pickles are impossible to find.

Alan, How about trying something like unsweetened orange or lemon
juice from the supermarket? I’ve never tried it myself but it ought
to work… or maybe vinegar if you can stand the smell???

Best wishes,
Ian
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield, UK

An alternative to acid pickle is PHdown an swimming pool acid.
Cheap and it works.

Hopefully you can find that in the UK.
Jennifer Friedman Atlanta Ga

  An alternative to acid pickle is PHdown an swimming pool acid.
Cheap and it works.

PhDown, or similar products used for spas and swimming pools, is
usually sodium bisulphate, and it is indeed a superior product for
use as pickle. Chemically it’s the same thing as products like
Sparex pickle, but it’s usually purer, and often cheaper as well. It
IS important to understand that this is nevertheless, a sulphuric
acid salt. Not as dangerous as the acid itself of course, but still
quite capable of doing damage to things like clothing and benchtops,
etc. It’s safety is the same as the commercial dry acid pickling
compounds sold to jewelers, like Sparex, which are the same
chemical. The advantages of the pool chemical over the commercial
pickles are just the purity of the pool chemical, the price (if lower
where you are), and perhaps availability if it’s more easily found in
your location.

Peter Rowe

    Alan, How about trying something like unsweetened orange or
lemon juice from the supermarket? I've never tried it myself but it
ought

Perhaps you need to look outside normal channels here in semi-rural
Southern Illinois I can get Citric acid through Asian food stores,
bakery supply houises, cosmetic making sites, natural food stores,
etc…

Good luck,
Ed

I have noticed that some of the products listed as “safer than
sulphuric acid mixtures” like Rio Pickle, contain Sodium Bisulfate. I
have also read that this compound (?) is often used for pool and
toilet cleaning products. However, unless I am mistaken (quite
possible:) sodium bisulfate when mixed with water will form a mild
sulphuric acid… I would assume if it is used in toilet cleaners
that it must be mild enough to not be considered a hazardous waste
product but I would be interested in knowing for sure. In my efforts
to find info on Sodium Bisulfate I found that in the US at least, it
is listed as a pesticide. I am trying to get further info from the
local EPA but would appreciate any input on safe and legal disposal.
Since I live on Cape Cod MA I feel there may be more strict
regulations regarding disposal.