Problem with PnP and Nitric

Although I’ve had great luck with the PnP Blue as a resist with
Ferric Chloride and with Ferric Nitrate, I can’t get more than a
very mild etch using Nitric Acid (1 nitric: 3 water) before the PnP
starts pealing off the silver. Any suggestions on using Nitric and
PnP together would be appreciated. Thank you Koranna
Enamelist and Enameling Instructor

    Although I've had great luck with the PnP Blue as a resist
with Ferric Chloride and with Ferric Nitrate, I can't get more than
a very mild etch using Nitric Acid (1 nitric: 3 water) before the
PnP starts pealing off the silver. Any suggestions on using Nitric
and PnP together would be appreciated. Thank you Koranna Enamelist
and Enameling Instructor

Koranna, I’m a bit confused on why you would use nitric if you got
such good results with Ferric Nitrate on silver? Are you seeing
some lively bubbling action on the surface of the metal? It could
be that your nitric is old.

-k

    Although I've had great luck with the PnP Blue as a resist
with Ferric Chloride and with Ferric Nitrate, I can't get more than
a very mild etch using Nitric Acid (1 nitric: 3 water) before the
PnP starts pealing off the silver. Any suggestions on using Nitric
and PnP together would be appreciated. Thank you Koranna Enamelist
and Enameling Instructor

PNP Blue and Nitric is pushiing the limits of the material. I do not
know that there is a solution to your problem other than using
another media as a resist. My only thought is to make sure you are
as hot and well sealed to the surface as possible and as cool as
possible while etching. Bill

Welcome to Reactive Metals Studio, Inc. Our catalog site is
www.reactivemetals.com. Thanks for making contact. Stephanie, Bill,
Deborah, Michele. 800/876-3434, 928/634-3434, Fax 928/634-6734
@Reactive_Metals

Koranna, This seem to be a drawback with PnP. You might try a product
developed by DuPont, called IMAGON (image on) ULTRA. It is a photo
resist type product originally developed for printmakers (etching
printing plates) and is becoming popular among people who want a
deep etch for Champleve enameling. It stays on better than PnP Blue
for a long etch. This product is available from Daniel Smith art
supply. (danielsmith.net) Jan Harrel will be teaching a workshop
using this process, at the “On The Edge” Enamelist Society
Conference, at Evergreen State College, Olympia, Washington, in late
August. For more info, log on to: EnamelistSociety.org

Good luck,
Steve Artz
Enamel Guild West