Silversmithing classes in Edmonton

Hi there! My daughter will be moving to Edmonton, Canada in the next
few weeks and would like to take some silversmithing classes, does
anyone know of a contact there? Gerry

Gerry Your daughter should get in touch with Karen Cantine. She is a
fine silversmith and I know that she used to teach a few students at
her own studio. If she can’t take on a student herself she may know
who can.

Doug Canivet
Auriel Designs
dcanivet@kawartha.net

Hello Gerry She can check out the Red Deer College
http://extension.rdc.ab.ca/visual_arts/series/ as they have summer
programs and are a short distance south of Edmonton.

A little further south is Calgary and Alberta College of Art &
Design http://www.acad.ab.ca/. As well I personally teach courses one
on one from my studio, times are flexible, 403-510-4043 to phone and
my email is below.

Karen Bahr “the Rocklady” (@Rocklady)
K.I.S. Creations
May your gems always sparkle.

Hi Gerry, There are several choices in Edmonton for silversmithing
classes.

NAB Jewelry/Metal Smithing School is run by Nicole Baxter (former
student of Charles Lewton-Brain) Contact for Nicole is 780-909-2410
She tends to run a more informal style of class pick your own project
and learn how to do it she has ongoing classes year around
with no formal start dates so it is easy to start whenever you are
ready. I am not sure what her beginner class is like but the more
advanced classes are great. I love being able to pick what I want to
learn when I want to learn it.

Metro Community College 780-428-1111 They have a beginner class and
an advance class in silversmithing. Very structured learning style
he picks the project for you and you learn how to do it. They only
have a couple of class starts per year and it depends on how many
sign-ups they get whether it get canceled or not. This was great for
learning how to get started I don’t know what the advance class would
be like it was canceled due to lack of interest.

Edmonton Parks and Recreation (sorry I don’t have the contact #
handy) They have a 1 week class in the summer I haven’t taken this
one so I have no idea what it is like.

Hope this helps her and a big welcome to Edmonton to her!!!

Jayne (lurking and learning in Edmonton)

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn’t. A
sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)