Quality Stamps , Hallmarking

I’ve been looking back in the archives for answers to my questions,
but haven’t been successful. In another forum, we’ve been looking
at and discussing FTC guidelines in regards to jewelry. The post
that came close to what I’m looking for is the following:

I have looked at the FTC guidelines, specifically at =A7 23.9
Additional guidance for the use of quality marks. What is stated
still doesn’t answer my question, so I’m hoping that someone will
have the answer for me with regards to stamping.

Right now, I work primarily with sterling silver and fine silver.
Eventually , I plan to create jewelry in the karat golds… when I
can afford it.

On all of my chains, I am attaching a “sterling” stamp that I have
made. Is this acceptable to do this within FTC guidelines, or does
one have to have a quality mark of the designer attached along with
this?

This is a note from the guidelines: Note 1 to =A7 23.9: Legibility of
markings. If a quality mark is engraved or stamped on an industry
product, or is printed on a tag or label attached to the product,
the quality mark should be of sufficient size type as to be legible
to persons of normal vision, should be so placed as likely to be
observed by purchasers, and should be so attached as to remain
thereon until consumer purchase.

I’m not finding any stating that one has to have both.
Please help me find the correct on this. Thanks,

Helen Edwards

Hello Helen:

I've been looking back in the archives for answers to my questions,
but haven't been successful.   In another forum, we've been looking
at and discussing FTC guidelines in regards to jewelry.

Type in a search for “makers mark” on the Orchid forum archives.
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive

Michael R. Mathews Sr. Victoria,Texas

You may wish to request copies of articles that AJM ran in April and
May 1998 on just this topic by Elly Rosen. He offers a comprehensive
description of the federal, Canadian, and some of the state laws that
apply to marking precious metals. (Order copies of the articles at
www.ajm-magazine.com in the article index.)

The short answer is: under federal law, if you are going to quality
mark your precious metals (i.e. sterling, 14k, plat. etc.) you must
ALSO mark the piece with a federally registered trademark. This is
spelled out in the National Gold and Silver Stamping Act of 1906. I
suspect it’s honored more in the breech than the adherence, but
that’s the law.

Suzanne
Suzanne Wade
writer/editor