Small oxy-propane torch

In the True-Value hardware store, I’ve recently seen an oxy-propane
set-up for about $50. It uses the same size disposable tanks as the
usual propane ones which plumbers use. Has anyone out there had any
experience with these? TIA, Judy Bjorkman

               In the True-Value hardware store, I've recently
seen an oxy-propane set-up for about $50.  It uses the same size
disposable tanks as the usual propane ones which plumbers use.
Has anyone out there had any experience with these? TIA,  Judy
Bjorkman

Judy, yes I have used one, it was the first ‘real’ torch that I used
way back when I was just hobbyist. If you will use it only
ocasionaly then it will be a good buy. If its going to be burning a
lot then I suggest a presto-lite torch or the ‘little torch’ both of
which you can get from mo st suppliers. I found that the O2
cylinders ran out very fast and if I didn 't remove them when I was
done they would leak out all of the O2 in a matter of hours. I found
a hardware store in town were I could pick up the O2 fo r only $7.50 a
tank and sometimes there was only a 1/2 hours gas in them. I figured
that what I spent on O2 in 1 year I could have bought the ‘lit tle
torch’ that I have now.

I hope this helps, Jerry.
Honorably, Gerald A. Livings

Judy, they are great for a one time use. For use in a shop, they
will drive you bankrupt in no time flat. The small OX tanks will
cost you around $7 or $8 each and will last at best around 10
minutes of use. You will not have the control of flame you need.

In my opinion, one of the best solutions is a small OX tank and
regulator from your local welding supply and a hardware store
propane tank with a regulator coupled with a “Little Touch”. You
need a larger OX tank for economy, but a Hardware store propane tank
will last a long time. When I set up my shop some eight years ago,
I set up with a 2.5 Gal Propane and a “B” Ox tank. I have filled
the OX tank every few months (I’m not a production shop) and have
only filled the propane once. The point is that it takes a lot of
OX to burn off a little propane. Spend your money where it will do
the most for you.

Don

Hi Judy,

 In the True-Value hardware store, I've recently seen an
oxy-propane set-up for about $50.  It uses the same size disposable
tanks as the usual propane ones which plumbers use<

If it’s the one I’m thinking off, the torch doesn’t have changable
tips, so for jewelery work you may find the tip too large. You’ll
also find the oxy cylinders are used up quickly & replacing them can
get expensive.

Dave

Hi Judy, When I was first setting up a jewelry making studio I bought
one of these. I don’t know if it was me or the torch, but I had a
horrible time with it. It heated up to the proper temperature, but it
was really tough to get the solder to flow with it. I learned with
an acetalene/air set up and once I bought that I was able to solder
again. If you plan on using your torch a lot then you may want to
consider a better set up - those little tanks run out quickly and the
price will soon add up to the cost of a decent system. My Smith
acetylene/air torch was $99 and the B tank with acetylene $75 ten
years ago. But now the only cost is to fill up the tank about every
3 years for $15 (I use it maybe once per week on average). If the
torch is for only occasional use and you don’t want to invest that
much you might want to get one of the small butane micro torches.
They are cheap and (to me) easier to use.

Jill
http://www.jjewelry.com