Wire shaper pliers

Has anyone used the “flat stock and wire shaper” pliers that Rio
sells. Would they mar 10ga. wire? Are they worth the $115? How much
control do you have over the shape of the curve? Are they slower to
use than a mallet and mandrel? I am beginning to have a real problem
with arthritis in my hands and am looking for something to shape
springy wire besides a mandrel.

Edward

Edward, I am going to begin a suggestion for you, fully knowing
someone there in Orchidland can complete it. When my Cox cable
provider reformatted my drives, I lost much valuable stored data.

Each year between Quartzsite and Tucson, I find a remarkable gent
whose pet passion is to create pliers to easily use in sinclastic and
anticlastic designs as well as a myriad of other shapes for sheet
and wire. He so loves his work that it is a pleasure to stand and
talk with him. I am wracking my brain to remember his name, I can
visualize him easily, but not his sign. His son has now joined him
and has modernized his dad’s exposure via a web site.

His tools usually run in the $35-45 range. He is usually in one of
the less formal shows, not in a hotel or motel. Perhaps the Congress
Tent or now out at Electric Park.

Help,
Teresa

Teresa, Here’s the name you wanted - Jewelry Tools by Miland 12155
N. Wildlife Ave Tucson, AZ 85737 Toll Free: (877) 463-8046
MilandTools@aol.com http://www.jewelrytoolsbymiland.com/

It sounds like you’re talking about Miland. You can find his
wonderful tools at www.jewelrytoolsbyMiland.com. They recently did
a story on him in Lapidary Journal (www.LJ.com). I was thrilled to
find out about those tools and naturally, want them all.

Elaine Luther
Chicago area, Illinois, USA
Certified PMC Instructor
@E_Luther

Each year between Quartzsite and Tucson, I find a remarkable gent
whose pet passion is to create pliers to easily use in sinclastic
and anticlastic designs as well as a myriad of other shapes for sheet
and wire.

The man that makes the swell pliers is Milland Suess. His website
is: http://www.jewelrytoolsbymiland.com/index.htm

I like his tools too, and indeed his enthusiasm is enjoyable.

Judy Hoch, G.G.
@Judy_Hoch

I want to put in my 2 cents for Miland. I have purchased many of his
pliers and love them and work with them. He has always been very
helpful and generous to me. He sets up at the tents at the baseball
field during the Feb Gem show and is well worth visiting during the
show. Just like many of the tool makers he needs ideas from the
’smiths for new tools. Sam Patania, Tucson

Hi Sam,

Miland...sets up at the tents at the baseball field during the Feb
Gem show.

Which baseball field and where? I’d like to stop by to see his
tools next February. I’ve checked them out on his website and I’d
love to see them in action before purchasing. Thanks. Beth