Need sand casting equipment/advise

Back when I started my career I occasionally used a sand casting
device. I didn’t have very much respect for that technology at the
time. Now I would really like to get my hands on a small jewelry
sized unit so I can cast unique shaped gold ingots. The standard
round and square shaped adjustable jeweler’s ingot molds just aren’t
versatile enough. Anyone know where I can get one nowadays?
Gesswein, Rio and Frei and Borel don’t carry them as far as I can
tell from the catalogs, and all ebay has are large cope and draw
types that are WAY too large. The unit I used had a pourspout built
into the top which made it possible to do long items like ingots.
Any one have a good source for me?

By the way what I want to do is pour triangular or long oval ingots
that I can then draw down. If anyone knows of why using a sand
casting unit would not work for this or have another idea that
doesn’t include lost wax casting, I would love to hear it.

Larry

I bought the set I have from Fargosteins before they went out of
business. The same set, and replacement sand (which is very fine
grained) is available from 550 Silver and Supply
(http://www.metalworks.com/), for about $US 65 for the kit. I’ve
used this stuff to copy surprisingly high detail, and the sand has a
very good recycle before it needs to be really replaced. The same
company also stocks ingot molds that might be what you want, as
well.

Ron Charlotte – Gainesville, FL
@Ron_Charlotte1 OR afn03234@afn.org

Hi Larry, You might want to try Delft clay casting. However, the size
might be a problem. my casting rings are some 2 " in dia, i.e.
slightly less than 2" would be you maximum length. I think I recall
a larger set of rings available but I’m not sure about the size. I
do think that RIO has them.

Delft clay casting can produce very fine texture - not as rough as
sand although it is in principle related to sand casting. The
casting kit comes with an instruction video and then it is only to
practice…

Hope this helps.
Lars Dahlberg
Gotland/Sweden

Larry- I don’t know about the sand casting, but perhaps carving your
shape into tufa and casting your ingots that way might work. Kevin
Kelly

Larry, I think what you’re looking for is the typical sandcast mold
used in the Southwest. It has the typical pour spout/gate at one end,
and allows to cast vertically or horizontally. It’s made out of cast
iron, occasionally enameled, typical cope and drag, registration
pins, about 4" x 6" interior surface area. These are available
through Southwestern suppliers in the U.S.–Rio Grande, IJS (Indian
Jewelers Supply) and Thunderbird Supply. All have mail order. This
mold can also be used with the Delft clay and is larger than what is
sold with that system. As Lars pointed out, Delft clay gives a much
smoother finish than sand.

Allow me to reccomend Delft Clay as a casting medium. It has it’s
limitations but only takes 5 minutes to set up a mould and cast. It
really is that quick.

Like all systems it has it’s limitations - no undercutting, large
sprue etc. - but overall it’s such FUN!

Tony Konrath
http://www.goldandstone.com

    Hi Larry, You might want to try Delft clay casting.

Students of mine have had success with Delft clay in homemade frames
made of wood. Make the size you want and pound the clay into it.

Recently I taught a marine geologist a bit of jewellery-mnaking, and
when we got to the Delft clay casting he felt it and said
‘technically speaking, this is silt’. I like it.

Bri

B r i a n A d a m
N E W Z E A L A N D
www adam
co nz
work
sho
ps

Larry - Ebersole’s Lapidary Supply Inc, 11417 West Highway 54,
Wichita, KA 67209-1298 carries a sand caster in their catalog for $52
(US). The casting flask itself (cope & draw only, no sand, parting
powder, crucible, etc) is $23.

Their phone number is 887-323-7765, Fax, 316-722-4775. The order
number for the full kit is #15-0140, for the casting flask only -

#15-0141.

Debby