[Orchid] Exotic alloys

billeisenberg Thursday, June 06, 2002

    A question for Peter Rowe,

    Your posting on the Exotic Alloys is most interesting.

    In the Japanese technique of pouring molten metal through water into
    a cloth cradle in the water, the billet sits in the cradle and
    hisses, burps and whistles as it solidifies and gives up the oxygen
    the metal absorbed during melting. Question.... What do you think
    might happen with a gold/aluminum alloy cast this way?

    What is the ratio of 18K gold to aluminum?

Bill in Vista