[Tidbits] A Thief...A Liar...An Actor...A Beloved

A Thief…A Liar…An Actor…A Beloved

All one chap folks. He wasn’t yet a day old when he became each of
these things…and a musician to boot. He was born in a cave…and
moments after his birth left his cradle for a gad-about. It was then
he met a tortoise. He shook the creature’s shell…as most infants
would surely do. He then added to the shell seven strings made of
sheep intestines…and invented the lyre.

He was a master thief he was he was. And a great liar too…for he
would deny his acts of thievery scant moment after having committed
them. Not only that…but he lied with such charm…transparency
notwithstanding…that he invoked the love of all who heard him and
enjoyed his rhetoric. Perhaps that is why…sometime in what I think
was the 19th century…an unknown artist… surely impressed with our
god’s prowess–for our protagonist was indeed a god of no minor
proportions…made of him a brooch studded with diamonds and
sapphires. There is not much…I think…in the way of jewelry that
does not relate in some form or another…directly or indirectly to
mythology. May I direct you who have not yet read Tidbit number 41
(41.html)…to read it in your spare time…if indeed spare time is
any other thing than illusion. This Tidbit speaks directly to the
mythological origin of the very first ring ever created.

Among other instances…I speak of the caduceus…that emblem of
wings with entwined serpents beneath…which acts as a paradigm for
the medical profession…but which was originally the staff carried
about by Mercury. And while I’m speaking of Mercury…may I say that
he is the god of whom I speak…for it was he that stole his
brother’s cattle only moments after his birth…and it was he that
invented the lyre…and it was he that sang as divinely as he
lied…and charmed the wits out of all who knew him. He was also…by
the way…the father of astronomy and mathematics and the inventor of
weights and measures.

Brooches appeared on the scene as far back as Byzantine times…and
originated in its function as a safety pin…used perhaps to fasten
together a piece of clothing which had ripped during a wild chase of
he for she through thorn filled gardens in quest for unmatchable
trysts. Or perhaps someone simply tripped over a toy in the kitchen
and ripped one’s dress just before going out for the evening to the
town ball. Sewing machines had not yet been perfected…and one never
had too many ornamental type safety pins to hold together body and
soul…and dress.

Anyway…safety pins became brooches and brooches became jeweled
ornaments…and they were worn…during the 4th or 5th century…by
both men and women. From the 13th to the 19th century…brooches were
the most popular form of jewelry. Is it a wonder then, folks, that
mythology and jewelry should unite…as it has in the past and as it
surely will in the future…to form once again the most delicate of
brooches…this one pav=E9d with diamonds and inlaid with calibr=E9-cu=
sapphires?

Brooches have died out in popularity somewhat these days…but the
more things change…the more they remain the same…and I expect a
resurgence any day now…when brooches will once more adorn–in
ubiquitous delight-- the hats and blouses and jackets and suits of
men and women alike. Whaddya think?

For those of you who are new to this thing called Tidbits…may I
direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where you will
scroll down the left side menu till you get to the area that says
Tidbits…and then click on the link that says: Mercury…where you
will see a graphic of our mythological jeweled creation.

And there ya have it. That’s it for this week folks. Catch you all
next week. Benjamin Mark

TYLER-ADAM CORP.–Jewelry Manufacturers
Tel: 1-800-20-TYLER
E-Mail to: webmaster@tyler-adam.com