Toxicity of silver

G’day; articles made of solid sterling silver, even when used with
food are in no way a toxicity hazard or poisonous! They have stood the
test of centuries and to my knowledge nobody has ever been poisoned by
silver cutlery etc. Indeed, I was given a solid silver spoon and fork
as a christening present almost 80 years ago, and I used them daily
until I was about 15, when they were put aside to form an heirloom as
they were engraved with my initials. (I was sad to give them up) They
have since been used by my grandson. What is poisonous are solutions of
soluble silver salts, and also colloidal silver; that is, silver metal
so finely divided that it remains in suspension in water. This is
actually used as a disinfectant in some applications. Please don’t
malign such a lovely metal! – Cheers now,

John Burgess; @John_Burgess2 of Mapua Nelson NZ

Curious about the toxicity of silver? Take a look at
www.silversolutions.com. and decide for yourself.

    G'day; articles made of solid sterling silver, even when used
with food are in no way a toxicity hazard or poisonous! They have
stood the test of centuries and to my knowledge nobody has ever been
poisoned by silver cutlery etc.

John, I just read your post and it reminded me of a problem I might be
having with sterling silver. Don’t know if you can help me with this
one…but anyone’s input would be of interest to me. I work primarily
with silver and sterling silver. Recently, I have noticed a cough
that I have obtained and a rash that itches around my eyes. I was out
of my studio for a few days and the rash went away and the cough.
Now I am back at it again and it seems to have come back again. I did
notice a habit of mine that I rub my eyes when I work and I know that
I have small bits of silver on my hands, from sanding, grinding etc.
I now wonder if this is from the silver or sterling that I am working
with. Also, along with this I got in a new batch of sterling silver
sheet from a reputable company and this has happened since I obtained
the new metal. I have also been having trouble with soldering this
metal and have…cleaned the metal…cleaned my solder…have fresh
batches of flux…etc. Still my solder is not flowing like it should
and the solder is the same batch of solder I have used for years,
still good and flows great, usually. So I have ruled out the solder
and now I am wondering if the metal is contaminated with something I
could be having a reaction to. So what do you think? Thanks in advance.
Linda Crawford Linda Crawford Designs Willits, CA
http://www.lindacrawforddesigns.com

Linda, I don’t know enough about it to say anything about the cough,
but one thing is very clear. You should never touch your face (or any
other sensitive parts of your body) with your hands while you’re
working with metal or chemicals, even if it means washing your hands
dozens of time in the course of a day. Your eyes are irreplaceable,
for one thing, and your overall health is important too, but even a
rash or irritation is a Bad Thing.

I’m reminded of a friend who told me about his experience as a
fiberglass worker at a boat-building company, when he learned at
considerable personal cost that he needed to wash his hands before
using the bathroom. Funny in retrospect, yes, but a lesson for us all.
:wink:

Loren

    John, I just read your post and it reminded me of a problem I
might be having with sterling silver.  	Recently, I have noticed a
cough that I have obtained and a rash that itches around my eyes.  I
was out of my studio for a few days and the rash went away and the
cough. Now I am back at it again and it seems to have come back
again.

G’day Linda Crawford; Firstly let me tell you that I know
practically nothing about medicine other than that I did several first
aid and rescue courses! And the last was well over 20 years ago.
Certainly nothing about allergies, for I assume that might be your
problem. All I can offer is that you make sure that your workplace
is well ventilated with an exhaust system, and that you wash your
hands frequently and thoroughly, then apply a softening cream. I have
never heard of an authenticated case of an allergy produced by silver
or gold. Have you considered that in hot weather perspiration
provides an excellent growth medium for a huge variety of bacteria?
And it may even be nothing to do with your jewellery work, but
possibly caused by some pollen or other? I think perhaps you ought
to seek help from someone who is properly qualified to offer it. Not
much use, am I? Sorry, but Cheers now,

John Burgess; @John_Burgess2 of Mapua Nelson NZ

HI To add on to what John said about colloidal silver ,that has been
used for centuries as an antibiotic in fact in the German literature
its called “natures antibiotic” I have used it for many years as a
"cure " for colds and flu and found it to be very effective HTH Ron PS.
if you are worried about toxicity problems and such please contact me
of list for news you may find interesting my address is
...wintermte1@aol.com

        John, I just read your post and it reminded me of a problem
I might be having with sterling silver.  	Recently, I have noticed a
[...]
John Burgess;   johnb@ts.co.nz of Mapua Nelson NZ

John & Linda, Unfortunately, I have had some experience with gold
allergy. I laughed at the Dermatologist when he even suggested it. The
truth of the matter is, that you can be sensitized to just about
anything.

I was an award winning bench jeweler for over 18 years. I had a gold
(18K+) crown installed in my mouth, and after 2-3 years, the mucosa
in my mouth absorbed the metal. Your skin has a natural barrier to the
filings, but your mouth doesn’t.

Over time, I became sensitized to the gold itself. I was tested
(twice) with all the metals, and the only positive reaction was to the
gold. NOT the silver, copper, nickel, or zinc I was tested on. I
suppose it is possible to develop an allergy to silver. Your trouble
seems to be airborne though, if I were to guess. (Medical disclaimer
implied) Is there mold in your environment that wasn’t around before?
By all means, get more than adequate ventilation. Go all out on that.

I had to give up bench work. I went out with a bang though. I had one
of 32 designs voted “best of show” by region, at the 2000 JA Show in
NY. See: Michael Dyber Infinite Design

I had the crown replaced with a Palladium/silver alloy, and have had
no irritation since. I still have trouble with exposure to gold
filings, but I control it with the highest power cortisone you can get
with a prescription. Needless to say, I avoid both as much as I can.

The effects of the allergy can be seen at my old web site, now
maintained by my brother: http://www.goldart.net/allergy.htm

There is no reward in working all day in pain, or bleeding while
tying your son’s skates. I don’t look back, but I’m moving forward as
an Asst. General Manager of one of the Jared stores in the Chicagoland
area. They have a shop, and it allows me to design, and pass on the
bench work.

To all that may see this on your hands, get rid of the gold dental
work before it progresses as far as it did with me. If I had known, I
would have spent anything to get the gold out.

Thanks for bringing the list (back) to my attention Howard –
John Christensen, G.G.

[...]

NY. See: Michael M. Dyber Gemstone Carving, Finished Pieces

Christensen, G.G. @John_Christensen1 Rep.
for Michael M. Dyber Gemstone Carvings, see- http://www.dyber.net Fun
on wheels http://www.home.earthlink.net/~johncgg/john/elcamino.htm