Torch

 What you described is true for the Smith torch. The tips look
the same but they will not interchange. The handle on the
Smith torch does not have the oval handle. It is a corrugated
metal tube much like a oxygen/actelene handle.  The big
difference in the torch in the percission of the tips.
Depending on the tip used the flame can go from 1/8th in. to 3
in.  The gauge is also better made.  Rio grande carries this
torch.  Look on page 187. Price $115.00.  They also carry the
air/propane version of the same torch. Most gas supply houses
do not carry this type of torch in stock but will order one for
you.

Thank you for the explaination! If it’s “basically” the same
thing, I see no reason to spend money on, yet, another torch . .
. I may have to get the various tips though . . . I’ve been
rather successful using the one that the torch came with. H m m
m, maybe I should spend my bucks on other things??? I don’t know
. . .

I am a hobbyist, just starting with jewelry, and have been monitoring
this list to a few months. The many references to different types of
torches has got me confused. I want to buy a torch that will satisfy
my modest needs without a great outlay of cash. All I intend to do is
gold and silver ring sizing, wire soldering and simple repairs. I would
be very appreciative for your advice on what toch to buy and the kind
of solder and flux to use. Perhaps someone can recommend a book that
includes this info.

Bill

I am a hobbyist, just starting with jewelry, and have been monitoring
this list to a few months. The many references to different types of
torches has got me confused. I want to buy a torch that will satisfy
my modest needs without a great outlay of cash. All I intend to do is
gold and silver ring sizing, wire soldering and simple repairs. I would
be very appreciative for your advice on what toch to buy and the kind
of solder and flux to use. Perhaps someone can recommend a book that
includes this info.

Bill

Hi Bill! I don’t know how helpful this will be, but hopefully a
little. :slight_smile: I have been a bench jeweler for a couple of years now and
do some work of my own on the side. I personally like using an
acetylene and oxygen mini little torch. I’m sure I’m most comfortable
with this one, because thats what I’ve learned on. Also, you can
order (if you haven’t already) a free catalog from Rio Grande
1-800-545-6566 which has a ton of tools, torches, solders, and even
some informative books that you can order. Hopefully, this info. is
helpful to you. Good luck! Tara

End of forwarded message