Shirt stud findings

I have a commission for a set of shirt studs and cuff links in silver
and nickel-iron meteorite. I have everything except the shirt stud
findings. Can anyone tell me where I can find them? Rio doesn’t carry
them.

Janet Kofoed

Hi Janet,

I’ve made a couple set of these, and made my own studs. I think I
used 8mm black onyx and sterling bezel cups. I made the “shank” from
something like 8 or 10ga round wire, and cut disks with my disk cutter
for the base. The challenge was getting everything to stay parallel
and perpendicular during the soldering, but perseverance paid off…
for the most part.

If you want to see a picture of the first set, visit this URL:

http://www.carolinaartisans.com/sebaste/studlink.jpg

That URL sounds kind of sexy, doesn’t it??? “Studlink” :wink:

I was thinking that if I were to do a set in gold, I would use hollow
tubing for the shank, rather than solid wire.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Dave

Dave Sebaste
Sebaste Studio and
Carolina Artisans’ Gallery
Charlotte, NC (USA)
dave@sebaste.com dave@sebaste.com
http://www.CarolinaArtisans.com

Very, very nice. If I’d had to make the findings myself, that’s the
way I’d decided to do it (without the benefit of disk cutter), but
fortunately I was able to find the backs. Rio Grande did indeed have
them. The operant phrase was “tuxedo studs”, not shirt or collar
studs, as I was looking for.

I’m taking the waxes to the caster today. We’re casting the
meteorites in place, which is sooo much easier than having to shoehorn
them back into the settings afterwards.

Janet Kofoed

I hunted all over last year for white gold shirt studs and found
finally found them at Frei & Borel, also in platinum and silver.

Nancy