Findings - Why are they called findings?

Hi

I am doing some research into findings, the big unanswered question
still remains - Why are they called findings?

If anyone can shed some light on the subject I would love to hear
from you.

beadyspice@aol.com

Why are they called findings? Because you’re always crawling around
on your hands and knees “finding” them when the little buggers fly
out of your hands and hit the floor. :slight_smile:

David L. Huffman

Because they are the little bits left around until you ‘find’ a use
for them - or so I was told.

Andy Parker, Agate House Lapidary
Ulverston, Cumbria, England
@Andy_Parker

Tel: 01229 584023

I’ve heard it was because they were made from little bits of metal
found around the shop…

Dave

Dave Sebaste
Sebaste Studio and
Carolina Artisans’ Gallery
Charlotte, NC (USA)
dave@sebaste.com mailto:dave@sebaste.com
http://www.CarolinaArtisans.com http://www.CarolinaArtisans.com

I looked it up Webster’s dictionary. The word comes from Middle
English, “finden,” to find; to supply; to furnish [In German, the
term for jewelry findings is “Furnituren” (furnishings)]; as to find
provisions for an expedition.

Finding, n. Miscellaneous small supplies used by a worker; as thread,
bindings, etc, are findings in dressmaking.

I think they are called findings because you can never find the right
part when you desparately need it. Then you go on the chase to find
the right part.

Gerry Galarneau