NYC jewelry attractions

I will be in New York City for a few days this autumn, and would
appreciate suggestions on what to see and do (and places to shop for
tools/supplies), especially related to the jewelry industry. I am a
silversmith, and may have time to take a short workshop, so tips
about jewelry/metals schools in the City would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Emie Stewart

One of the best jewerly-gemstone attractions is Dikra Gem Inc at 56
west 45th Street NY NY Phone 212-869-6332 or 1-800-673-4572 They have
the best collection of designer gemstones including drusy and many
unusual and top well cut stones and many cabochons, all well cut and
many unusual They are probabaly the number one designer
stone company in the USA and are a must to see.

Lee Horowitz, M.Ed, CAGS, Gemologist

One of the best jewelry-gemstone attractions is Dikra Gem Inc at
56 west 45th Street NY NY Phone 212-869-6332 or 1-800-673-4572 They
have the best collection of designer gemstones including drusy and
many unusual and top well cut stones and many cabochons, all well
cut and many unusual They are probabaly the number one
designer stone company in the USA and are a must to see.

That’s correct Lee, I had the pleasure to meet Diane in Tucson (she
was my booth neighbor). She is a lovely person, and have a very
interesting stock. Even if you don’t have business with here, is
always good to know and chat with her.

Vlad
www.radudesigns.com

By New York City I assume you mean Manhattan. There are 2 very good
suppliers in the city, Metalliferous at 34 West 46 St.,
(212-944-0909) (most things silver, copper and brass, plus tools and
books) and Allcraft (tools, books and some metal) at 135 West 29 St.,
#205 (800-645-7124). Both have store items that are not always shown
in their catalogs or online. Places of possible interest for classes
are the 92nd Street Y, Fashion Institute of Technology (if they
happen to have a talk of interest for one night and the Bead Society
of Greater New York (mostly beading workshops, but occasionally
something about metal). There is another place I’ve heard of but I’m
not sure of the name, possibly called the Jewelry Studio.

Before you come check for museum exhibits at places like the
Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Neue Gallery also has some
interesting pieces occasionally.

Mary Partlan, White Branch Designs

I am going to NYC early September for a week. Haven’t been there in
many years. Interested in looking at contemporary jewelry (versus
more traditional gemstone work). Wondering if anybody can point me in
a direction. Galleries, stores, etc.

And other than Metalifferous, are there any other places to purchase
materials/tools that I shouldn’t miss?

Thanks-
Liane Redpath Worlund

Don’t miss the Aaron Faber Gallery:
http://www.aaronfaber.com

Have fun!
Beth

Yes the best designer gemstones and other stones are from Dikra Gems
on 45th street. Thye also have a website

Lee Horowitz