Cleaning steel shot

Hi, I am looking for a home-made solution for cleaning my steel shot
(not stainless).The shot has served me well for a long time now it is
getting rustyand greasey (why greasey?) I know I can purchase a
special cleaner but I thought with all the resourceful pros out there
some one would .know. It seems everytime I turn around I am having
to purchasing something to complete the job, thats why I am always
interested in ‘home-made’ solutions. Resourcefulness comes from
experience and Im working on that. Replies appreciated. Nancy

** Hanuman’s Note **

Nancy;

Discussions over this topic took place few times over the last
couple of years at the Orchid forums. You can retrieve
the threads by running a keyword search.

Check out the following address to learn moRe:

http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/index.htm

HTH
Hanuman

Nancy, we clean our steel in our pin finisher with coca cola. Works
like a charm. We run a couple inches for and hour our so. If your shot
is from a vibratory finisher, fill the container, run the cycle and
check every hour or so. Good luck, Gianna

Hi Nancy,

  Hi,  I am looking for a home-made solution for cleaning my steel
shot (not stainless).The shot has served me well for a long time
now it is getting rusty and greasy (why greasy?)

Here’s what works for me. I use about 7 # of assorted shapes of shot
in the smallest vibratory tumbler Gemstone Equip. makes.

When it gets grungy I dump the shot in a colander & rinse it off
under hot water. While the shot is out of the tumbler, I rinse it out
as well & dry it. Then I put the shot back in the tumbler add some
Draino (the dry kind) or lye (sodium hydroxide) & add water until
about 1/2 the shot is under water. Place the lid on the tumbler & run
it for and hour or so. Dump the shot in the colander again & rinse in
hot water. Clean out the tumbler. If the shot still looks grungy
repeat the process. I’ve never had to repeat the process more than
once.

I use a low sudsing household detergent (very little, 10 drops or
less) & household ammonia (2 oz) when I tumble.

Dave

Would you use the same methods to clean dulled stainless steel shot
as you would for just steel shot?

AnastasiA

Hi Anastasia,

    Would you use the same methods to clean dulled stainless steel
shot as you would for just steel shot?

I’d use my method of draino or lye for both stainless & carbon steel
shot. Have never had a problem with either.

Dave