Milky Gravel diamond headlight rings

Last week I mentioned the hatred I have for the herringbone chain. I
do understand that some people cannot afford to buy a 20 gram rope
chain, and they can afford a $60 herringbone. Look I have no problem
with this type of consumer, just the manufacture that makes this poor
excuse for jewelry.

Well that’s not my topic this Sunday morning. My topic is, how in
the world did the jewelers that have a clear consciousness start
manufacturing those headlight rings. I’m serious, I used to use
these things for bee bees when I was a kid. I call them gravel and
that’s not compliment for the natural rock. Gravel has something
these so-called diamonds don’t have. There free. I do not sell these
nasty things. If you still do not have any idea what I’m talking
about, think of someone you know that won’t shop anywhere else other
than Service Merchandise, or Walmart. You know those 1.0ctw diamond
tennis bracelets that sell for $99.00. Yes those are actually
diamonds, but those are the Home Depot rejects… Yes rejects, The
Depot won’t even allow those things to go into there drill bits

Well if there is a jeweler out there that sets these so called
diamonds, tell me this… How can you set a diamond and expect it to
stay in place when there are no facets to secure the stone. The one
thing you guys don’t go cheap on is super glue. Do you know how
toxic it is when we have to size a ring that has stones set with super
glue? Castgold@home.com

Scott, Why would a reputable jeweler waste his time and energy sizing
such a piece of junk, let alone risk exposure to cyano-acrylate
fumes? I just tell the “customer” (How good a customer is he/she? They
didn’t buy this crap in your shop, did they?) “Sorry, I don’t work on
pieces when I can’t guarantee the repair, and I can’t guarantee a
piece of this shoddy manufacture. If the original seller is not
willing to size his product, demand your money back and buy something
that I can guarantee - preferably, buy it from me.”

Hello! I am an american who has lived in europe and scandinavia for
the last 10 years. When I got your mail my memory went back to my
early years of training and my frustrations as a stone setter. I
abandoned the american market because of the abundance of imported
junk from Asia. It is sad to find out that things have not improoved
over there but maybe it will help you know to know that even here,
where traditionally work is only done in F-G-H/VVS stones, some stores
have begun to import THE SAME JUNK!!!

We can only hope they go bankrupt…but experience tells me we wont
get that lucky…

Just had to put my 2 cents worth in. I thought we where in this
bossiness to provide service to the customer, explain to them what
they have and show them what you will have to do to make the piece
safe and what it will cost, at least we don’t insult they will become
good customers in the future.

BillyBob
Made By Hand

BillyBob,

Your point is very well taken!

A customer who is treated with respect will almost always become a
good customer. (If you don’t respect the jewelry she has brought for
repair, you can always find a diplomatic way to tell her. Be
disappointed -for- and -with- her; and tell her how to avoid the
problem in the future. You probably won’t even have to mention your
own work…it will occur to her to ask.)

OK, with your two cents and mine combined we now have four cents.
Would anyone like to make it six? :slight_smile:

Pete

Peter B. Steiner
TripleRock Lapidary
Buffalo, NY, USA

4 cents plus 2 equals 6 cents, was a time when that was a good wage.
Ok, I usually have too much to say so I will step in. I agree
entirely to treating every customer with respect. No need to add your
opinion of the abilities or mores of the jeweler who assembled the
piece or quality of the stone in it. I have seen too many people
enjoy too many different kinds of rock in way too many forms for me
to be the Supreme Court of taste and quality. I would give them an
honest estimate for repairs, including disclosure of the possible
complications from the defects. If they wish further I
would try to educate them gently, not too much at once,
and they most likely will return.

(I would love to work only with IF Diamonds but economics forces most
customers to buy more affordable grades. If they can get enjoyment
from abrasive grade material why should I impose my standards on
them?)