Oil of Turpentine

For polishing wax, try something less dangerous than lighter
fluid and a bit more pleasant smelling, not to mention not as
aggressive - turpentine.

G’day Aufin; One assumes that you mean REAL, old fashioned,
“Oil of Turpentine” - the stuff that smells of pine forests - not
the dreadful stuff that oil companies misname ‘turpentine’ .
Only problem is that real turps is harder to get and costs a lot
more these days - whereas it used to be, well, cheap as turps!
Cheers and don’t drink it in mistake for retsina. Hey - perhaps
that might work too?

    /\      John Burgess
   / /
  / /      Johnb@ts.co.nz
 / /__|\
(_______)  In sunny temperate Mapua NZ -

Autumn’s here

What I was referring to is the “pure gum spirits” that can be
bought in any hardware store or Walmart or K Mart around here.
Don’t know what retsina is, but I don’t see it listed anywhere
on the container. I remember way back when I was a youngster,
when I had a cold my folks made me take something called turpin
hydrate. Nasty tasting stuff that smelled like turpentine. I
got better real quick!!

   What I was referring to is the "pure gum spirits" that can
be bought in any hardware store or Walmart or K Mart around
here. Don't know what retsina is, --

G’day: Just a gentle leg-pull: retsina is a very potent
alcoholic spirit flavoured with pine needles, tasting - to me
anyway - of turpentine, and much beloved by the Greeks. Cheers
(hic)

        /\      John Burgess
       / /
      / /      Johnb@ts.co.nz
     / /__|\
    (_______)  In sunny temperate Mapua NZ -

Autumn’s here and winter’s close

Don't know what retsina is,
Retsina is a greek wine, where fur three resin has been used as

a preservative (no, not that type…), and which gives it a
scent of turpentine. However the whole story reminded me of my
mother giving me castor oil when I had a bad cough. Who dared
cough after a good dram of castor oil??

Best regards from Niels in springtime Denmark, where the beech

leaves are as pretty end light green as ever.

Hi Niels: Read your response on retsina and the reference to the
beech trees made me homesick, although I haven’t lived in Denmark
since I was 10 yrs old and we only lived there for 15 months! We
lived in Bagsvaerd outside of Kobenhavn and I fell in love with
the beech forests. Would love to stay in touch with a Danish
metalsmith and compare ideas about design. Let me know if you
are interested in exchanging ideas about our work.