Another color jet?

My mother is convinced that she has some beads that are "jet"
that are another color than black.

She asked my opinion and my research showed only jet black items
could be called jet.

She then took the beads to a cheesy mall jeweler who for a fee
told her what she wanted to hear “sure they are jet”, any chance
of this if they are not black? So touching a bead with a hot pin
should produce a little puff of smoke and what kind of smell?

Thanks much,

Karen

Rain, rain go away come on back another day (like when
I don’t have an outdoor show coming up)

Rain, rain go away come on back another day (like when I don't
have an outdoor show coming up)

In ancient times when I was a naughty little boy in England we
used to sing, “Rain rain go away, come on Mother’s washing day.”
We live in a village, don’t we?

  My mother is convinced that she has some beads that are "jet"
that are another color than black.

Jet is a form of coal. While we think of that as black, it can
actually appear as a very very dark brown also. But that’s about
it. if it’s bright orange, etc, it isn’t jet…

Peter Rowe

Hi,

A real quick way to detect jet is to do a streak plate test.
Just a slight rub of jet over unglazed porcelain leaves a heavy
black mark. Try a non-conspicuous spot - not as destructive as
scratching with a knife.

Agate will not show a black mark.

Thanks,
Cameron Speedie