JA Master Bench Jeweler Certification

Hello All:

I have created 3 new web pages of pictures of my recently
completed projects for the Jewelers of America “Master Bench
Jeweler Certification”. If you have been curious to see what the
criteria is for this certification please visit my sites. I am
sorry that I did not take pictures of the prerequisite test
projects to the Master Certification level, but it consists of
some chain repair, channel setting, ring sizing and wax carving
to strict specifications, which I passed. There is also a “open
book” and a “closed book” test that you must pass. It will be
another month or so before I will know if I passed so wish me
luck.

Michael R. Mathews Sr. Victoria,Texas USA

hi michael, i wish you the best of luck. it looks good to me from
here. a general question to you and the forum: how does one
obtain the slight dome, then get it to fit on top of the square
box? i’ve done this with a matrix die but not by hand. i would
imagine one could use repousse and boss it out. thanks.

best regards,

geo fox

George…It only seems hard but like most other things it
is really quiteeasy.

You’ve domed a square plate. The next step is to place the
square plate on your bench top, with a straight side parallel to
the edge of your bench and overhanging the benchtop slightly. Now
with a wooden (or Other ) mallet strike the overhang. the metal
will change its shape towards flat at the edge. you may have to
hit it maor than once depending on how hard its and how hard you
hit it the first time. Also depending on how big the square is
you may have to hit it in seversl places along the length of each
side. Once you’ve got one side flat rotate the piece and do the
adjacent side. Its really a piece of cake.

Sol K.

Sol, Have you really tried this? I couldn’t get straight edges
without distortion. Sloppy seams! I have since figured out that it
is far easier and cleaner to split the corners on arcs.

Bruce D. Holmgrain
Maryland’s first JA Certified Senior Bench Jeweler
@Bruce_Holmgrain
http://www.goldwerx.nu
703-593-4652

   Sol, Have you really tried this? I couldn't get straight
edges without distortion. Sloppy seams! I have since figured
out that it is far easier and cleaner to split the corners on
arcs.

Bruce…Yes, I’ve done this many times. It is not my
invention, but a classic Silversmithing technique. I use it not
only for box covers but also for any piece that is domed
(spherical or other ) when I intend the open back to be flat
(as a pendant for example ). In the case of a box cover, small
edge distortions are not critical because they cn be pulled into
shape with binding wire when you solder the top to the box. There
is no reason for sloppy seams.

I wish I could visualize what you are describing by splitting
the corners on arcs.

Sol K.