Which Canopy is best/wind problems

Hi All,

I am the current owner of an EZ-Up express. Great for
the beginner at the shows…about reached it’s life
span after 3 years. I lost my top at my last two
shows…it is nasty looking from the seam sealers I
have had to use to keep the seams from leaking (they
did that the first year!)The frame is corroded, my
garage is currently full of my fabric panels and
sidewalls drying out from this weekends bouts with
heat/storm/heat…110 degree heat index on asphalt!

So I am looking at new tents…here is a brief rundown
of the options as I see it.

High End EZ-Up…legs still collapse, cross bars bend.

KD Canopy…same cross bar design…cheaper than the
following options, sturdier than EZ-Up…but not as
good as light dome or craft hut.

Light Dome…I am leaning towards getting this one. I
hear that it is a pretty quick set-up and it seems
sturdier than the EZ-Up or KD but not as much as the
Craft Hut.

Craft Hut/Show off…Seems the sturdiest, but it costs
a little more and seems to take forever to put up. How
hard is it for a me alone at a show? It has a hundred
parts!

Please let me know about your opinions and personal
experience…

Karen

In northern Ill

@karenworks1

Karen,

I recently purchased a craft hut. Have been really happy so far. I find
it very easy to set up. By myself I can have it up in 20 minutes. The
first time I set it up it only took me about 40 minutes. There really
aren’t as many parts as it seems! Haven’t experienced any hurricanes
yet!

Joe
Expressions With Metal
www.expressionswithmetal.com
@jeweler

Where would one go to get such a canopy? I’ve looked at places like home
depot and they don’t have a selection at all, and what they do have has
stripes. I’m looking for a very plain one… any suggestions? thanks,
amery

Amery Carriere,
Assistant to the Director
Annenberg School for Communication
School of Communication
3502 Watt Way ASC304 F
LA, CA 90089-0281

phone: 213.740.0934
fax: 213.740.3913

Hi, Everyone,
We used an EZUp for 5 years until it fell apart. Then…
We built a canopy frame from conduit. (The corners and connector pieces
came from a place in Houston, if you’re interested, let me know, I’ll look
up the name and address) We then took the frame to a place that makes
truck tarpaulins and had a top and four sides custom made. The bottom
conduit pipes we filled with brake dust (free from local auto parts
store). They weigh about 15 pounds each. With three on there (the front
is open) we have 45 pounds holding the canopy down. With practice, it now
takes two of us about 10 minutes to put the frame with the top on it, up.
Sides a little longer. The disadvantage to this canopy is that it does
take longer to put up. The biggest advantage is that my merchandise stays
dry, even in a thunder storm! and has not been affected by winds (so far
up to 25 mph.) The total cost for this canopy was about $450. and it looks
VERY professional. It is also many times cooler than my EZUP ever was in
the summer and with the sides on, much warmer in the colder weather. We
have had it for 2 years now and it still looks like new. (We have washed
the top and sides twice) If anyone wants details about making this canopy
yourself, (the hardest part is cutting the conduit) contact me, I’ll be
happy to pass them on. This canopy story reminds me of the story about the
Three Little Pigs… Blessed Be! Cat Dancing

Where would one go to get such a canopy? I’ve looked at places like home
depot and they don’t have a selection at all, and what they do have has

Hi Amery,

When this discussion winds down and you want to know
how to contact a specific manufacturer let me know and
I can forward you any of their numbers.

Karen

@karenworks1

Amery,

I am also in the process of looking for a canopy. Here are some web sites
that I have found.

http://www.flourish.com

http://www.crafthut.com

Any comments from anyone experienced with these canopies would be
appreciated from those who are new. Thank you!

Linda Crawford
Linda Crawford Designs
@Linda_Crawford
http://www.jps.net/lcrawford

I’m not sure what “such a canopy” is. But, if you pick up Metal Smith
Magazine, Sunshine Artist or The Craft Report, there are various vendors
who offer canopies, of course the prices vary. I have an EZ-up which I
purchased at Sam’s Club for around $200 and then purchased waterproof
sides for an additional $100.00, the ones I see advertised seem to run
about $800.00 - but, I don’t honestly know whether they are any better. I
would also love to know whether the more expensive ones are better or not
(most shows are on concrete or asphalt- not on grass (darn!) )

Any auto or hardware store should have pipe cutters this looks like a 'C’
clamp with a sharp wheel mounted to one side Just swing it around the pipe
tightening the clamp a LITTLE every two or three turns. slow but the ends
will be cut square. If this is only project you will use it on go ahead
and get a cheap one from discount store you don’t need to sjpend on a good
one. Or plumbing/electric contractor will have power version. negotiate!

I still have my EZ Up, but as soon as it dies I will get either a Craft
Hut or an Archtop. Both of these have the best resistence to wind. I
won’t be getting the Archtop that has the awning attached though.
Although the dealer insists he has a 5’2" woman employee that puts it up
by herself in 20 minutes, I think she must be some kind of an Amazon lady.
I have helped a good friend with hers on many occasions and the best we
have ever done together is 35 minutes. The Archtop with the separate
awning(s) is great though and with it you can have an awning on each side

  • for a corner booth - or even all 4 sides. Write me off-line if you want
    to know more about our problems with the attached awning Archtop canopy.

– Nancy <@nbwidmer>
ICQ# 9472643
Bacliff, Texas US on the Gulf Coast just blocks from Galveston Bay

I for one would really appreciate details on building this tent ! If the
best way is thru the postal system, E-mail me and I’ll give you my mailing
address and will send you a postage paid envelope if that helps.

Sol K.
@solk1

Linda,

I bought the archtop canopy from the Flourish Company last year
www.flourish.com. I think I paid a little under $1000 for it including
after all was said and done. I got the bottom support bars, a light pole,
storage bags for the top and sides, and extra fittings to convert it to an
indoor booth. The features I like best about it are the huge skylight,
the side vents, and the wide front awning. It’s great when it’s raining
and I havn’t had any wind problems…yet.

Wendy Newman

I have an EZ-up canopy that is in it’s 4th year. I added grommets at the
corners so that I could secure the top to the frame. I use considerable
weight to keep it from becoming airborne. My opinion is that it’s a good
starter tent but as soon as I can afford it I plan to buy a Craft Hut.
They seem to be the sturdiest. One of my friends calls the EZ-up the
EZ-down and he does have a point…As a jeweler I am hoping to get a
canopy with the little awning on the front to keep the sun off the jewelry
as much as possible. - Deb

I would get rid of that brake dust filler. Automotive brake pads
are made with asbestos and there are a lot of health hazards
associated with asbestos fibers. I don’t know what this filler is
made from but caution regarding anything to do with automotive brakes
byproducts is in order.

Kelvin Mok (klmok@shaw.wave.ca)

Home: (403) 463-4099 | Home FAX: (403) 430-7120

we finally bought ez up’s top of the line - heavier canvas. heavier poles
that are coated. the top stays on when you fold up more strenght overall.
and yes we have sat in winds and rains and watched the cheaper ez up’s and
others blow away. we went for the zipper on sides and door in one side and
heavy duty carry bag and wieght bags . Concrete settups are always a
problem as you can’t drive in a stake we use sand bags or concrete filled
pipes depending on groung condition and so (knock wood) have be ok. EZ Up
has available cute curtains for the corners for those wanting to dress up
their tents also available are side skirts to hide the unsitelys under
your tables.

Regarding the brake filler, The filler comes from the turning of the
metal brake discs and drums. So the filling I used is actually cast IRON
filings and does not contain the same materials as the pads. I do believe
in SAFE recycling. Thanks for your concern, though. Cat Dancing

Probably different products the dust is hazardous waste now and has to be
treated and disposed. I suspect this is lathe dust (fine chips of steel
from turning brake drum/rotors ) Also if anyone raises roses some of this
dust will produce an excellent red the red is an iron compound and most
soils are lacking

: I would get rid of that brake dust filler. Automotive brake pads : are
made with asbestos and there are a lot of health hazards : associated with
asbestos fibers. I

Regarding the brake filler, The filler comes from the turning of the
metal brake discs and drums. So the filling I used is actually cast
IRON filings and does not contain the same materials as the pads. I do
believe in SAFE recycling.

Nice Idea to recycle, but brake turning are laced with asbestos and WORSE,
unless your in a local area that requires cost prohibitive pre
decontamination. But where such is required it is cheaper to replace than
turn the drums or rotors. Remember even microscopic quantities of asbestos
is a short cut to an early grave!!

Greetings from the swamps of SOUTHERN Illinois, 90 miles South-east of
StLouis, MO., 375 south of Chicago{“Land of STINKY Waters”}.

Good art!