Steel wool / Magnets

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I use magents to decontaminate filings anyway, bits of file and
binding wire may always be lurking around, but it’s the amount of
“shedding” that occurs when using steel wool that gets on my nerves. The
steel particles are so small and sharp and it seems almost impossible to
clean it all up, maybe I need a larger magnet. I have also had a bad
experience with walking barefoot near my workspace and getting a small
steel hair lodged in my foot. At first I couldn’t see what was stinging
me, but using my loupes and a fine tweezer I discovered it was a teeny
bit of steel wool. I’ve been hesitant in using steel wool ever since.At
home, I wear slippers everywhere but the shower. I am now officially
paranoid of steel wool.

I like Scotch-Brite pads and abrasive cloths that do not “shed” as much
because it makes me feel a little less grimy in general. I make enough of
a mess as it is already.

try a “rare earth magnet” them things are hoo-eee strong! I know that Lee
Valley Tools sells them. Robb.

In my job fixing oilfield instruments I have tried all kinds of
abrasives and solvents. For something that requires just cleaning
and some polishing I found that the mechanics’ “soapless” handcleaner that
has pumice in it is fantastic for taking out most of the grime and adding
a polish to bare metal as well as painted surfaces. I use Scotch-Brite
or a toothbrush for the harder to remove grime and just cheap paper towels
for everthing else. The cleaner takes out oily residues (crude oil with
mud) as well as dye stains (eg. marker pen inks) The beauty of this
product is that the workpiece can be wiped clean after use. As a
handcleaner its relatively gentle on the skin unlike most industrial
solvents which give me a rash.

Kelvin Mok (klmok@shaw.wave.ca)

Home: (403) 463-4099 | Home FAX: (403) 430-7120