Jewelry glue

Hi,
Being not a jeweller, but a trader, I’m asked if it’s possible to
glue very small diamonds on a gold pendant. What would be the best glue
to use. Won’t the glue deteriorate the pendant or the diamonds ? Will the
diamonds risk falling off ? Thanks.

CELESTIN LENZI BP 161 98820 CHEPENEHE
NOUVELLE CALEDONIE Tel & fax +(687) 45 00 69

Glue on the back of a diamond will effect the internal reflection and make
the stone go dead. This is why the only stones you see set with glue are
foil back rhinestones or cabs. Epoxy seems to be the best glue for jewelery
but is not a good substitute for proper setting.

Jim

Epoxy seems to be the best glue for jewelery but is not a good
substitute for proper setting.

I’ve encountered a strange repair job. The customer decided to STRETCH
their ring by hot water emersion! (Damn, wish it was THAT easy! hahahah)
Anyway, the result was that the stones fell out. The stones were cabochon
and the ring was cast with rounded bottom bezel cups. Since I make my own
bezel cups (any size) I was appauled to see the cabs glued, figured I
could re-set the correct way . . .that was UNTIL I saw the rounded bottoms
of the cups! I, initaially thought, perhaps the stones were set upside
down (rounded ends into the rounded cups . . .) called the customer and
was told “no, the stones were rounded at the top.” Thought to myself,
heck, I’m going to have to glue those suckers back into those cups. Then
discovered that none of the stones actually fit the cups they fell out
from! (stones were a bit larger in all cases!) Had no choice but to glue
. . . I hated doing it, but the customer was happy! I TOLD her to be
careful when wearing the ring and not to imerse in water!!! (Hope she
listened!!!)

What would others have done?

Thanks for any advice

(Remember, I didn’t make the ring . . . this was a “repair” job- which I
don’t normally do because I don’t consider myself a “jeweler” I’m a
silversmith (or metalsmith - depending on what sort of metal I’m working
with.)

I used to do custom jewelery in my students days for extra cash and I
been useing clear resin same type you use for fiberglass on body work
and is been working fine . As well at times when I run out of stones I will just
fell the space with colored resin and create beautiful color effects .

HH

Sounds like you did the right thing. One of my students showed me a
pair of earrings which had a screw ear finding and wanted to solder on a
post instead. It was pot metal, not silver and had a plastic stone glued
in. I caught her before she turned the earring into a melted mess.
Instead she sawed off the screw finding and epoxied a post with a large
pad. She was a happy camper. One thing about epoxy, everything needs to
be really clean. A little swab of alcohol helps degrease the surface and
anything I epoxy (which is very, very rare) stays on forever.

Which leads me into a rather dumb question. What exactly is pot metal or
base metal. I know the term, but I am unfamiliar with the actual metal
composition. Is it tin? – Karen Christians Fly Fish Design 282 Lexington
St. Woburn, MA 01801

@metalart

Current Artwork:

Hello:

I have to say in responce to your question…(ahem)… No jeweler
worth his keep would do such a thing. Glue is for pearls and other
assorted semi-precious stones but NEVER for diamonds. If the prongs are
worn out, is there any possibility of bead setting them? I might also
mention that cementing them is self-defeating as the cement will make them
appear flat and without any fire at all.

Just my humble opinion;
Steve Klepinger
Michigan USA

Hello!

I think we all can say we’ve been there. Generally, I don’t work on
such pieces as I don’t like to spend a lot of time working on it only to
be unhappy with it in the end. I also only work on such unusual pieces at
the customer’s risk because, as you discovered, you never know what you’re
dealing with until it’s too late! However, I feel you did the right thing
even though you found it an unpleasent task.

Better luck in the future;
Steve Klepinger