Re: [Orchid] Soap boxes, alloys and attitudes!

Rex & Gabrielle Merten Thursday, April 02, 1998

    Och! Dauvit, I'm wi' you on this one! The Krechmers of the world
    may just have it all wrong. I've been a jeweller from apprentice
    to master, man and boy for forty two years. It's been a long
    while and in that time I've won four Diamonds International
    Awards and many National Awards in Oz. I hope I've made my
    contribution and paid my dues. I've trained a lot of apprentices
    and I'm proud of every one of them. I've taught them everything I
    know and not one of them has ever threatened my existence or
    earnings. They have made their own mark in their own way.

    For the last four years I've been teaching all I know at the
    Design Centre to apprentices in our premier trade school and I've
    confirmed what my father and grandfather always believed and
    practiced - that you only grow by giving.

    Look at the respect Charles Luton-Brain has earned through his
    generosity. Look at the generosity of the rest of the Orchid
    group, the sharing and the stimulation that makes this such a
    wonderful site. Good on you, Dauvit, Rex from Oz