Oiling vacum pump

Hi, I need a oil to my vacum pump of Rio, 3cfm. Here in Sao Paulo
don’t exist a oil specifically for vacum pumps, may be some
automotive oil can serve. Please tell me if you have any hint.

I would suggest that you try looking for an air conditioning/
refrigeration supplier where you can obtain refrigeration oil-
it’s the same thing, used for compressors,etc.regards- RL

Hi Alfredo,

Welcome to Orchid! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, there are alot of
very knowledgable people here who are willing to help with your
questions.

I need a oil to my vacum pump of Rio, 3cfm. Here in Sao Paulo
don't exist a oil specifically for vacum pumps, may be some
automotive oil can serve. Please tell me if you have any
hint.

Ask at any company that sells repair parts & tools to
refrigeration repai r shops.Many refetigeration repair shops use
vacum pumps & the oil used in them & also refigeration equipment
is the same. You can also try any larg e petroleum products
wholesaler. They usually have a whole assortment of specialty oil
products for sale. If all else fails ask someone in the Physics
or Chemistry department of any college/university where they get
their vacum pump oil, they almost always have at least 1 vacum
pump.

It’s probably not a good idea to use automotive type lubricants
in a vacu m pump. Vacum pump oil is a dehydrated, low frothing
oil.

Good luck.

Dave

For vacum pump oil try your local air conditioning
refrigeration company they have vac. pump oil in gallons.

Frank

Hi Oiler! Try compressor oil if you can find it. I live in Maine.
In the summertime it gets quite humid. I have to change the oil
once a month or I begin to get bubble nodules on my castings.
They don’t hurt the casting but they can be a pain to clean off.
A Dios

Alfredo-

I had another thought about your problem. If you can’t find a
refrigeration supplier, you could maybe use corn oil instead as
refrigeration /vaccume oil is actually a paraffin free vegetable
oil, and not a petroleum based oil as I understand from my local
A/C man, so automotive type oils would not be so good for this
use. Regards-RL